Custom Chane 'Arx' models

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Chane 'Arx' models

Over the next couple of months we're going to consider developing a few sets of special models from our US facility. These models will be nearly the sonic equivalents of a planned premium Chane line of 'Arx' models from the A1 through the A5.

In other words, were we to redo the A1, A2, A3, and A5 - all in RX-C trim with 3rd gen tweeters and crossovers - in paint, bullnosed cabinets, and with other upgraded touches, these would be cosmetically similar to those models, but as early limited editions, cost less.

We're going to roll out these few "Special" models as pre-market models for a higher-end line. Given the advances the A2 and A3 enjoy in their RX-C iterations, and knowing what the A1rx-c prototype does already and what the A5rx-c is capable of, I don't see these doing anything but becoming valued pieces in the line's evolution.

Let's start with this list and gauge interest.

1. Three sets A1rx-c Specials in bullnosed cabinets and black paint.
    2. Two sets A3rx-c Specials in bullnosed cabinets and black paint.
    3. Two sets A5rx-c Specials in bullnosed cabinets and black paint.

These models will be finished in a two-part semi-gloss black paint like the painted A3rx-c and A5 bases already are.

Prices will be announced in this thread this Spring.

Originally posted by Jon Lane View Post
    Over the next couple of months we're going to consider developing a few sets of special models from our US facility. These models will be nearly the sonic equivalents of a planned premium Chane line of 'Arx' models from the A1 through the A5.

In other words, were we to redo the A1, A2, A3, and A5 - all in RX-C trim with 3rd gen tweeters and crossovers - in paint, bullnosed cabinets, and with other upgraded touches, these would be cosmetically similar to those models, but as early limited editions, cost less.

We're going to roll out these few "Special" models as pre-market models for a higher-end line. We'd like adventuresome buyers to beta-test them for us, and naturally we'll offer standard return privileges.

Given the advances the A2 and A3 enjoy in their RX-C iterations, and knowing what the A1rx-c prototype does already and what the A5rx-c is capable of, I don't see these doing anything but becoming valued pieces in the line's evolution.

Let's start with this list and gauge interest.

1. Three sets A1rx-c Specials in bullnosed cabinets and black paint.
    2. Two sets A3rx-c Specials in bullnosed cabinets and black paint.
    3. Two sets A5rx-c Specials in bullnosed cabinets and black paint.

These models will be finished in a two-part semi-gloss black paint like the painted A3rx-c and A5 bases already are.

Prices will be announced in this thread this Spring.
    I consider myself to be "adventuresome," although given your reputation, there doesn't seem to be much risk. I would be interested in a pair of A5rx-c Specials, a pair of A1rx-c Specials, and maybe you could produce an Arx A2rx-c center Special as well.

I am trying to build a front sound-stage for my dedicated 11.2 theater. I will be using JBL Studios for the back 6 channels, until I can afford to replace them with Arx.

I can certainly wait until April/May for my purchase, if a pair of A7rx-c Specials is on the horizon...

Thanks

Louie

Comment

I'm definitely interested as well. My main interest would be the A5rx-c but potentially in others as well. Looking forward to hearing more about this.

Thanks!

Comment

A7 direction

At Craig's GTG, I was very impressed with the A5's sound. The ribbon tweeter just sounded absolutely clear, wide and transparent, and the mid bass seemed quite close to the impact of the Song Towers.

After following the heavy hitters thread and hearing about point source high efficiency speakers like Danley SM-60f and Yourkville U215, along with JTR's 228 and others out of my league, the idea of the A7 has me intrigued. If it's aim is higher efficiency with that accurate musical sound quality, I'm intrigued indeed. But, then again, I'm still more impressed by the Theater-10s present sensitivity since I'm mainly HT.

If only I had unlimited funds, the choice would be much easier, but trying to avoid less than optimum looking DIY results, it will be interesting how the present and future Chane offerings weigh.

Comment

Originally posted by sbdman View Post
          At Craig's GTG, I was very impressed with the A5's sound. The ribbon tweeter just sounded absolutely clear, wide and transparent, and the mid bass seemed quite close to the impact of the Song Towers.

After following the heavy hitters thread and hearing about point source high efficiency speakers like Danley SM-60f and Yourkville U215, along with JTR's 228 and others out of my league, the idea of the A7 has me intrigued. If it's aim is higher efficiency with that accurate musical sound quality, I'm intrigued indeed. But, then again, I'm still more impressed by the Theater-10s present sensitivity since I'm mainly HT.

If only I had unlimited funds, the choice would be much easier, but trying to avoid less than optimum looking DIY results, it will be interesting how the present and future Chane offerings weigh.
          There are two ways to reply to this, and now is a good time to pause and relay a little about what Craig and I are discussing.

Rumors do happen. The new models thread discussed a few concepts and some of them have naturally taken off to have lives of their own, the A7 being primary.

How we respond to this is twofold. On the record there is no A7 tower and there is no A6, which would be a higher energy MTM/LCR than the A2rx-c. These are rumors and although they developed honestly - and with our help - we have to officially rule them off the table.

For now.

Things are happening so fast now that should an A7 appear - which is the skunkworks reply - it could be sudden and maybe in the context of a review.

(By the way, if you read the $2500 event at HTShack, the A5 comes up a number of times as the $1000 survivor those models were compared with. We've asked Sonnie to throw us a bone about how it fared against the more expensive class and we hope one day he yet does... ;) )

Getting back to the larger, higher-energy, 80Hz+ monitor, the A7 wouldn't be precisely that speaker as you know. It'd be a larger tower, using larger woofers and a more powerful upper section.

The relatively compact, high-output, 80Hz super monitor(s) is always a compelling concept. (Including the 10" horn two-way, the double 8" MTM two-way, and so forth.) I admit that Craig and I have gone around about such models about as much as we have about subwoofers - and considering where subs are headed as of today, this could mean nice things for the category.

But here again we have to beg off and say these are only rumors at this point. We have no - repeat, no plans - to enter this segment at the moment. The Theater Ten is stunningly competent (as well as being a bit of a genius cost-sourcing move) and to justify a model in its class at perhaps twice its price is really asking for something. It's built like a brick and Craig's been giving them away...

The high-energy 80Hz / horn-assisted two-way category is probably as dear to our audiophile hearts as any, so as with the A7, if something appears suddenly, I think it's safe to say it'll be here. I've been wanting to get back to that philosophy for 20 years.

Comment

John, I'm very excited about the new relationship between Craig and you. I think you have a nice synergy and hope you're very successful.

A while ago you posted on the Chase Home Theater forum that you would review the Theater 10 when you had time. From following this forum I am now confident you have nothing on your plate ;) so I thought I'd ask. I'm remodeling my house now. After I finish that I would like to update the speakers in my theater. I'm not looking for a 98% solution, meaning 98% of the very best available. I've discovered I'm content with a 90 to 95% solution. To me the Theater 10s looks like they would fit very comfortably in this category at a bargain basement price. When you're ready and have time I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Jim

Comment

Adding to what Jon has posted ... He has in his possession a pair of Theater-10's. I have asked him to treat the Theater-10's as if he was a reviewer. I spent a lot of time working with two different engineers taking what started as a very nice sounding high efficiency monitor. I personally love how they sound, and based on the feedback of two customers who have Theater 10's in their system, I think customers will love them as well.

That being said, I know of no one who is MORE strict about what he expects from a speaker than Jon Lane. Jon is going to fully test out the Theater-10's. After he is done, we will discuss the ideas of speakers that are "better" than the Theater 10.

Two other speakers that need special mention are the Arx A-2 and A-5 platforms. Yes, there are the "B" and soon to be "C" versions of these two speakers. For now, we will just call them the A-2 and A-5 platform.

The "C" versions of the Arx speakers will involve taking this basic platform and elevating the performance even further. If you have "B" versions, you have great speakers. The "C" versions will be taking these speakers and making them even better.

They will, of course, be somewhat higher in price as well.

Jon may want to smack me for posting this ... but that's ok. :)

The A-2 and A-5 platform have enough upward mobility in them that we will in the near future we will have A-2's and A-5's that are close to PRO style speakers in output while being competitive in the audiophile class of speakers.

Putting this in terms of home theater systems ... We are picturing a series of systems in the $1500 to $5000 range featuring Jon Lane designed ARX level speakers and Jon Lane enhanced "Chase Subwoofers" that will deliver SPL levels at reference or above from 16 Hz to 20,000 Hz in almost any size theater one can imagine.

To be REALLY close to the edge of making Jon cringe ... Look for a speaker based on the original A-5 that the guys at Home Theater Shack tested at $750 per pair ... and Jon taking a $1200 version of this speaker that we will put up against the class of $2000 to $3000 "small towers" one sees from the competition. There will be something similar done with the A-2 platform (and possibly A-1 and A-3).

Jon - You can beat me up later for posting this. :D

Personally, based on the conversations I have had with Jon, my dream system for our high end "basement theater" is the "Upmarket A-5" platform for Left and Right ... and upmarket A-2's for centers and surround ... plus our $1500 dual 18 inch driver in a quasi QB-3 vented alignment/Dayton amp subwoofer package.

That will be one amazing $3600 home theater package.

Comment

This direction (A-2 or A-5 "C") is exactly the focus of what I was thinking. I'm a bit swayed lately with my "Tim the tool man Taylor" thinking, watching some of these guys put stadium performance gear in their HT's, and hitting reference levels with a couple watts input and near flat response. I also still have thoughts about 20Hz tuned or below being the buying reason for a sub, but am glad I went sealed instead.

Some say it's more important to add a good external amp to get cleaner sound. Others say more sensitivity or both. The goal is playing reference level after an upgrade with the same frequency response, and your ears saying that's not as loud as it was before the upgrade, but the spl meter showing it was.

And in the final outcome, I'm talking about the times when your in the mood to demo your system, rather than just enjoy the movie or song. How often do I drag race my system and wonder "was that a blurred bass note, or a shrill breakup in the top end?" My experience says I haven't turned the volume up that high to notice.

Comment

I would be interested in testing a pair of A3rx-c with an A2rx-c as a center. This would be matched with an HSU VTF-2 MK4 sub and an Onkyo TX-NR818 for mostly HT use.

Comment

Being a fan of the MTM monitor design, I'm interested to see and hear what can be done with this format and how far it can be pushed.

Best....Carlo.

Comment

Me too

Jon

I would be very interested in a Pair of the prototype A5's and an A2. I was planning on jumping in on the normal A5's to really start my HT and real music listening experience (4 kids finally out of college and no more alimony and child Support) but from the sound of it will be well worth the extra investment and wait for the upgraded prototypes. Thanks for letting me into the forum family as the reading has been interesting and very educational. I have strange feeling my Christmas present this year will be the twin subwoofer with an MQ 600. Thanks and good luck on the new website and partnership.

Comment

Just thinking out loud here. It's hard to find decent on wall speakers that have say the dimensions of the old RS 300 (from AV123) but that are direct radiators (versus being bipole or dipole). It's hard for me to use standard 2 way "box" speakers for my wall mounted surrounds because they just stick out from the wall too far. I was able to do it with the M-1s but even their depth was pushing it for the size of my HT. I can't be the only one with this issue and while I could be happy with using four M-1s for side and rear duty, the Arx line is compelling enough that I think it would be neat to have a "flattened" version of the A-1 for wall mounting applications.
                        Curious to know people's thoughts.

Best....Carlo.

Comment

Just to clarify, the new A3rx-c's will have upgraded aesthetics, but be similar sonically? (except for crossover) Am I reading that correctly?

Comment

Originally posted by supersonic View Post
                            Just to clarify, the new A3rx-c's will have upgraded aesthetics, but be similar sonically? (except for crossover) Am I reading that correctly?
                            No RX-C iteration of the four models will have upgraded cosmetics. Those features will be part of a new, pricier line.

Just how the two lines coordinate with one another is what we're planning now.

Comment

Hello Jon, I'd be super interested in the A1s you are making. I just purchased the A3rxc and the A2rxc and would love to have a companion with them both for surround and pure music listening.

As I burn them in I'm just so amazed by the sound I'd love to check out the new A1s. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X