Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need speakers for basement HT..

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • need speakers for basement HT..

    moving into a new house and the basement is all open looking to do AT projector screen. i owned a eD cinema 12 for about 7months and used it as a center.. i liked it then ordered the rest but they never came ;( so im interested in seening if chase HT speakers can make me happy camper. i like DETAIL!!!, SPL AND CHEST POUNDING BASS. My basement is 40ft X20ft with 9ft ceilings. i also like have partys and want it to sound like im at a club ;). i was thinking of doing a 5.4 system 5 SHO-10s and 4 VS 18.1s.. will this do the trick for me. i was also considering JTR 888s but was thinking about the price to preformance is the extra money getting me that much of a better speaker and i wouldnt beable to get 4 sub :(. i also have a elemental designs A7s-650.

  • #2
    Originally posted by frankie2075
    so im interested in seening if chase HT speakers can make me happy camper. i like DETAIL!!!, SPL AND CHEST POUNDING BASS. My basement is 40ft X20ft with 9ft ceilings. i also like have partys and want it to sound like im at a club ;). i was thinking of doing a 5.4 system 5 SHO-10s and 4 VS 18.1s.. will this do the trick for me.
    That is a large room, but a 5.4 Chase system using VS subs will be up to the task. :yes:

    Comment


    • #3
      Yea, and the sho's will go further than your ears can typically. I let my nephew house sit and told him to go nuts in the theater. He said he had a religous experience in the mancave, but had to finally back down on the volume because he couldn't feel his face anymore... I opted for fancy fronts and 2 subs. In hindsight, I would've been better off with Shos all around and 4 18.2's...though with that sort of room volume, you'd probably be happier with the VS's. Either way, you'll be happy witih the Chase stuff.
      LCR: Gedlee Abbeys for LR and Nathan for Center Surround & rear 4 x Sho10's
      Subs: 4 x 18.2
      Electronics: Marantz SR7002, Acurus 200x3 (LCR), PS3, HTPC, CDP300, Mits HC1500, Elite Peregrine 2.35 156" Acousticpro4k

      Comment


      • #4
        haha thats awsome... yeah i talked to chase and he said 18.2s would be good if the room was sealed but with the space i have the vented is better.. any experience with JTR888?

        Comment


        • #5
          None with the triple 8's but I have the Gedlee abbeys with have trounced the triple 7's and the sho's come darn close. The abbeys have the edge but they are 6 times more expensive. They are maybe 5-10% better, not 6x better. Bang for the buck, can't beat the chase products.
          LCR: Gedlee Abbeys for LR and Nathan for Center Surround & rear 4 x Sho10's
          Subs: 4 x 18.2
          Electronics: Marantz SR7002, Acurus 200x3 (LCR), PS3, HTPC, CDP300, Mits HC1500, Elite Peregrine 2.35 156" Acousticpro4k

          Comment


          • #6
            awsome man.. how are they on dynamics? i always hear for movies they arent as good as the JTR? i can understand that because they are cheaper and the have 1 10". JTR has 3 8"s but im still wondering if they have good dynamics?

            Comment


            • #7
              The sho's are very dynamic. Part of that comes from the wave guide/compression driver, part from the woofer and the overall effeciency of the unit. I'm pretty sure your ears will fold before these guys do. But, I'm sure the 888's will edge out the shos in detail, but I suspect it would be a fairly close thing. The think you really need to ask yourself is where do you want to spend your budget. It seems between the two choice are:

              1) Have great sound and rediculous subwoofage - go with the sho's and VSs.

              2) Have even better sound and decent subwoofage.

              It's really a matter of where your priorities are. I think you could be happy either way. Neither is a bad choice.
              LCR: Gedlee Abbeys for LR and Nathan for Center Surround & rear 4 x Sho10's
              Subs: 4 x 18.2
              Electronics: Marantz SR7002, Acurus 200x3 (LCR), PS3, HTPC, CDP300, Mits HC1500, Elite Peregrine 2.35 156" Acousticpro4k

              Comment


              • #8
                I've listened to the 888's and own the SHO-10's. I preferred the 888's by a small margin in a blind listening test, but not enough to sell my SHO's and save for the JTR's. As a matter of fact, I am buying more SHO-10's as I switch from 2 channel to 5.2 surround. I am probably going to switch my dual sealed Chase subs to dual VS subs, too. I love my sealed subs, but I my room is open to the rest of the house and after hearing what the VS subs can do, and after seeing the Home Theater Shack and Data-Bass testing, I am going vented.

                Simply put, you get a lot of sound for your money with Chase. Sure, you can do a little better, but it is going to cost you big $$$$.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I'm a 2 channel nut and was saving my money for GedLee Nathans. I fretted and fretted over several speaker designs, researching for well over a year. I communicated with several manufacturers including Craig Chase. I called on the phone and also PM'ed Craig to death with questions.

                  Long story short, I don't fret anymore. I know there are other choices out there, but I don't long to own something else, and there is no buyer's remorse. I am completely satisfied with the SHO-10's, they sound amazing for the money!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tesseract
                    I've listened to the 888's and own the SHO-10's. I preferred the 888's by a small margin in a blind listening test, but not enough to sell my SHO's and save for the JTR's. As a matter of fact, I am buying more SHO-10's as I switch from 2 channel to 5.2 surround. I am probably going to switch my dual sealed Chase subs to dual VS subs, too. I love my sealed subs, but I my room is open to the rest of the house and after hearing what the VS subs can do, and after seeing the Home Theater Shack and Data-Bass testing, I am going vented.

                    Simply put, you get a lot of sound for your money with Chase. Sure, you can do a little better, but it is going to cost you big $$$$.
                    If you're going to double the size of the subs you have now, wouldn't it make more crazy excitement to just buy an 18.T, or 18.2 and a MQ-600, than sell the twins and buy the VS's <hint, hint>?

                    By the way - I assume you got back the Sherwood?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      What would you be powering them with?

                      You can run the Sho-10 on a home theater receiver just fine.
                      A jtr 888 is going to require some serious juice to get the most out of it, the last set I heard was running on a $5000 lab gruppen amp.


                      I'd stick with the sho-10 and use the rest of the money where it counts: the bass!
                      Current System
                      Amps Sunfire TGA7400
                      Mackie 1400i
                      Crown XLS-1500
                      Receiver:Sunfire TGP5
                      Speakers: Klipsch KLF-30
                      Jamo D8 CEN
                      Chase SS-18.2
                      2x Lilmike Cinema f20

                      Video:Epson 3010 3d 1080p, 130in perforated screen

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by stormwind13
                        What would you be powering them with?

                        You can run the Sho-10 on a home theater receiver just fine.
                        A jtr 888 is going to require some serious juice to get the most out of it, the last set I heard was running on a $5000 lab gruppen amp.


                        I'd stick with the sho-10 and use the rest of the money where it counts: the bass!
                        +1 Great point!
                        LCR: Gedlee Abbeys for LR and Nathan for Center Surround & rear 4 x Sho10's
                        Subs: 4 x 18.2
                        Electronics: Marantz SR7002, Acurus 200x3 (LCR), PS3, HTPC, CDP300, Mits HC1500, Elite Peregrine 2.35 156" Acousticpro4k

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          i would be using emotiva amp... good point tho. now your like the 3rd person that told me to spend the money on the bass y is this? ik bass is important but why am i getting the impression that its more important then the speakers?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            it's hard to get bass right, and you can never ever ever have enough. No matter what you have, you always want more :) Kinda like Garlic in your italian food :)
                            LCR: Gedlee Abbeys for LR and Nathan for Center Surround & rear 4 x Sho10's
                            Subs: 4 x 18.2
                            Electronics: Marantz SR7002, Acurus 200x3 (LCR), PS3, HTPC, CDP300, Mits HC1500, Elite Peregrine 2.35 156" Acousticpro4k

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by sbdman
                              If you're going to double the size of the subs you have now, wouldn't it make more crazy excitement to just buy an 18.T, or 18.2 and a MQ-600, than sell the twins and buy the VS's <hint, hint>?
                              I have considered this, but I don't really have room for another pair of 18.1's and don't want to buy another amp or deal with an L/T circuit. From 16 Hz on up to around 40 Hz, dual VS subs will deliver bass that is roughly equal to four sealed 18.1's without the need to rely on room gain or EQ. It will be a win in my room.

                              Someday I hope to have a sealed, dedicated theater room. Four SS-18.2's would reside there.

                              By the way - I assume you got back the Sherwood?
                              Haven't sent it off yet, enjoying my 2 channel amp for now. When I get the sale PRO/SHO-10's, I'll be looking at surround again. Then I'll get the Sherwood fixed (hope it's just a fuse). Then I will cram the surrounds behind my couch somewhere. :peeping: This will be the beauty of Trinnov, it is supposed to be able to fix less than ideal speaker placement.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X