X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home theater suggestions

http://forums.av123.com/showthread.p...082#post739082
    Owner - engulfaudio.com
    Authorized Acurus, Aragon, Bryston, Denon, Marantz, Pro-Ject Dealer...and a bunch more

Home theater suggestions

I am finishing a basement remodel. It's a small space overall, but I would like to squeeze in some decent sound while the walls are going up. The general shape is framed in and exterior framing is up. Next is power and AV wiring.

The space will be 90% HT, TV, etc. I would like to say I will have a listening station and perfect spacing and acoustical furnishings, but more than likely I need a family space with good sound and speakers and AV gear that doesn't get in the way.

I have made some images in Autodesk Homestyler, I am hoping they attach properly, The space is L-shaped and roughly 19' deep by 11' wide, the L portion opens up to 17'+ but I plan on facing everything on the 11' wall. The small section of the 'L' will probably end up being floor to ceiling closet/storage so the acoustical issues there might be mitigated a bit.

It's an old house with an old basement. 90+ years old and ceilings under 7' in the basement. That dictates what we are doing quite a bit and we'll end up with standard sheetrock walls and ceiling, not much in the way of acoustic treatments, etc. It will be more of a family space with me sneaking in some AV niceties for myself.

Because I am sometimes a ridiculous person I want to squeeze in a 7.1 system or at least wire for it while I can. The entrance to the room (off the stairs) is flexible (width-wise). There is a 3x8x2 girder cutting across that span, dividing house. I will be cutting, supporting and lifting that up in whatever section I deem to be the 'doorway', so that width can vary quite a bit - by my calcs I can do:
    • LCR across the front
    • Side Surrounds on both sides - the couch location and size is speculation but realistic given the space.
    • 2 Surround rears on either side of the entry way into the laundry and bathroom space.

* in the 3d drawing, the vases represent bookshelf speakers

AV racks, amps, etc would go under the stair space and be accessible from the back. The stairs aren't quite accurate on the drawing (its all I could do). They actually have walking space underneath and room for a sub as well.

Originally I was looking at in-walls because of the space savings and cleaner lines they offered but after reading here and other places (AVSForums, etc) I have decided that bookshelves, towers or on-walls would be a better sounding option. Finishing wall space with speakers embedded is a dedicated effort (as opposed to just providing a wall plate with terminals).

I believe I can fit a 65' or 70' TV between the windows when all the framing is done. That leaves the room below for the LCR. One plan is to build a bookshelf/dvd storage unit across that 11' span. That is something that is within my capabilities and something that is desired according to my significant other. That shelving would give me a location for setting the LCR if they come in bookshelf form. Otherwise I can use mounts or step up to towers with a Center that comes off the TV mount ( again, within my capabilities, a custom mount, small custom shelf, hacking up an Ikea piece, etc).

I have a couple questions for the Arx fans:

Would A1b's (7) work all the way around here? 6+ 2arx-c in the middle? They will be tight against the wall in all situations, whether on a shelf or on an articulating mount.

I'll consider A3s or A5s across the front but I am not sure I need that much(?). I have a 10-inch powered Energy sub and have been looking at some others (HSU, etc).

I am REALLY interested in any wall-mount surround option Arx has in the works but I don't see much talk about those.

Given my space, what suggestions to people have? I have looked into (and listened in some cases) to Klipsch, HSU, HTD, Monoprice inwalls, Def Tech.

I like what Arx represents and have read glowing reviews, especially given the price point. ( I lean eclectic, from cars to cameras) and I am intrigued by the Arx tweeter option versus, say, the horns on the HSU systems.

Appreciate any feedback!

Thanks

Comment

I can't seem to add the images with the dimensions. Is there a trick? Using the image link on the forum, on a Mac. Allows me to choose an image file but the window doesnt have a 'save' or 'upload' button.

Comment

Sean - What will you be using for a receiver? Have you already purchased it? This will help with the speaker options. Also - we have some great subwoofers being built in our new facility. The proper integration of a subwoofer into the main speakers is of paramount importance - we should talk about this as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Cotter
          I can't seem to add the images with the dimensions. Is there a trick? Using the image link on the forum, on a Mac. Allows me to choose an image file but the window doesnt have a 'save' or 'upload' button.
          Once an image is selected from your local computer, click "Upload File(s)" immediately below the Browse button.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	3dangle.png
Views:	1
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	76234
            Click image for larger version

Name:	resource_export_1388173062610.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	76235

Give the upload a go. I think the issue (in may case anyway) is that the upload button just looks like text and not something you click. :)

Comment

Originally posted by craigsub
              Sean - What will you be using for a receiver? Have you already purchased it? This will help with the speaker options. Also - we have some great subwoofers being built in our new facility. The proper integration of a subwoofer into the main speakers is of paramount importance - we should talk about this as well.
              I am open to Arx or any sub that is suggested, certainly. I don't have a receiver in mind. I was going to wire, in part based on my speaker choice (bookshelf, towers, wall mount vs in wall, etc) and then build my shelving, racks and populate it all. What DO have and would us temp. or to at least break in the speakers is an older Yamaha HTR 5150 (oh why can't this be love?). Here are the specs, 5.1 only:

Comment

Sean - The first thought for a terrific system would be A-1's for the mains/surrounds, A2-RXc for the center and one or two of our new SBE-118 subwoofers with a Dayton SA-1000 amp.

At some point, you will want a new receiver, too. There are a lot of options in this regard. Perhaps a phone call so we can talk your overall budget for a home theater, and the best allocation of funds from that budget. :)

Comment

Originally posted by craigsub
                  Sean - The first thought for a terrific system would be A-1's for the mains/surrounds, A2-RXc for the center and one or two of our new SBE-118 subwoofers with a Dayton SA-1000 amp.

At some point, you will want a new receiver, too. There are a lot of options in this regard. Perhaps a phone call so we can talk your overall budget for a home theater, and the best allocation of funds from that budget. :)
                  Hey Craig,
                  I was thinking the same thing. One concern I have is with the mounting of the LR and Rear surrounds. I understand there is a plug for locations where the speakers are up against a backing wall, but I am concerned with mounts, mounting and the 'bulk' of the speakers.

I am running wiring (AV, power) and hope to put in boxes and have my speaker locales set (height and horizontal locations) set so I can put up drywall. I know there is a discussion on potential wall-mount Arx speakers, any idea on rough dimensions? Would they be a product that would sit flat against the wall like Triad OnWall?

Thanks again!
                  Sean

Comment

Sean - Jon would know better where that project stands. Let's see if he can chime in.

Comment

Hi Sean,

I own the Arx A5 (L/R), A1bs (Surrounds), and A2 (Center, original version, not A2rx-c) and have had them set up in a few different-sized rooms so thought I'd add my two cents here. They are an amazing value and sound better than many speakers that are significantly more expensive.

You have a fairly large space when you think of the entire L shape area, not just the distance from the couch to tv. I would definitely recommend upgrading, and replacing your sub with one or even two of Craig's subs and going with a minimum of A2rx-c's across the front.

3 A2rx-c's standing vertically (on the shelf you would build) across the front for LCR will give you a great seamless sound stage. If you went this route, just keep in mind the tweeter is in the middle, and it might be difficult to have that close to the same height as your ears (at main listening positioning when sitting down) unless you had the tv mounted a little higher. To get around this, you could tilt all three speakers a little bit upwards with foam wedges underneath so that the tv could still mounted properly at eye level and the tweeter would still be aligned to your ear height.

Another great option (and the one I would personally go with if it were me), would be to go with either A3rx-c or A5 for LR, and the A2rx-c (placed horizontally) for center speaker. (Ideally, you could go with A3rx-c or A5's across the front, but that would force the tv to be mounted too high for comfortable viewing, causing neck strain.) Placing the A2rx-c horizontally will allow you to build the shelving a bit higher to make up for any space lost by having to build the shelf a little less wide to give a location for the A3rx-c's or A5s to stand on either side. This will still result in a great sound stage, and you will be especially glad you went this route when listening to music in stereo/ 2.1 as the A3rx-c or A5 will give you a bit more magic than the A2rx-c would.

As for surround speakers, I would take up Craig's suggestion and ask Jon about the on-wall surrounds; those would be optimal since 4 A1b's would be hard to fit into your space due to their depth. I have used the A1b with the port plugged against a wall on either side of a couch, and although they sounded fine, it was not ideal and made the space to the sides of the couch too cramped since the room was narrow.

As for the sub upgrade, again I think the minimum you should do is upgrade to one of Craigs's subs and stick it under the stairs as you had planned. A better option IMO would be to get two for smoothing out the response and integrate them into the room, perhaps in the front corners of the room. If you made your shelving the same depth and height as the subs, the front of the room would look pretty seamless and the subs would not stand out at all.

Good Luck!

Regards,
                      Ryan

Comment

Hello Sean, in addition to the great advice here, I just wanted to add a link to the AVS HT of the month. It has a smaller space but was well designed in my opinion. Very clean, simple and very good use of space. I hope it inspires your remodel or gives you helpful ideas.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1505451/ht...er-for-hobbits

Comment

Working...
                        X