Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking helpful comments/owners' reviews for a new 7.1 HT speaker setup

Hello Friends,

I'm looking for helpful comments/owners' reviews for a new 7.1 HT speakr setup with choices of the following brands & models.

My room size is 15X21X9 ft. TV and speakers need to be on the 15ft side. Note that right side of the room is open to kitchen & breakfast area and no wall.

I prefer clean & precise sound rather than high volume or high bass. When watching movies, I prefer voice to be very audible rather than muffled by too much bass. Music - I sometimes listen to stereo setup and sometimes all channel (7.1) stereo.

(Yes, I understand that speaker preference is subjective and what suits our ears and taste is the best for us. I also understand that I could do 30-days trial audition at home. I prefer to ask around before doing so). If you have auditioned any or all of these models or own any of these models, I'd appreciate your comments/suggestions and why you would recommend them.

Thanks in advance for your comments and time.

(Below setups are not in any order. $300-$500 difference won't be a deal-breaker if the speakers excellent).
    Setup-1
    ARX (A5, A2C, A1B) for 7.0 speaker setup ($1556)
    Subwoofer SVS SB12-NSD ($649)
    Emotiva XPA-3 Amplifier ($699)
    Total ($2994)

Setup-2
    Emotiva (XRT6.2, XRC5.3, XRM6.1) for 7.0 speaker setup ($1596)
    Subwoofer X-Ref12 ($699)
    Emotiva XPA-3 Amplifier ($699)
    Total ($2904)

Setup-3
    NHT Absolute System with subwoofer B10d subwoofer
    for 7.1 package - with current 20% off promotion is $2112
    Emotiva XPA-3 amplifier $699
    Total ($2811)

Being this is the forum for the Arx speakers you can pretty much assume which will be the recommended system here. ;) Having said that... I own the NHT's, and did a review of the Arx, so I have personal experience with both of those. The NHT's are nice speakers, but for me they tended to be a little too bright. They're pretty forgiving as far as placement is concerned though. The Arx didn't strike me as overly-forward, like the NHT's, but they do need a bit more care regarding placement and aiming. Once properly setup they're quite nice.

One thing about all your systems jumps out at me though, so just a general observation... you don't list a single subwoofer that will give you much output in a 2800 ft^3 room like you have. They're simply too small, especially the 10" NHT. You should probably reconsider those and think more along the lines of something a bit larger.

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite

Comment

One thing I didn't mention in my OP is that I have Yamaha Receiver that can push 90W RMS power output to each of 7.1 channels. I'm considering XPA-3 to power up only the front 3 channels (LCR).

Comment

Hi theJman,

Thanks for your reply. I'd certainly considering adding 1 more sub. If I get the main speakers finalized, I could add one of the same sub.

Regarding your comment on the placement of ARX speakers - suppose I do the placements perfect for the center seat of my couch and everything sounds perfect......what if I sit on either side of the couch or what about other people that may watch movies along with me? Would they get the best of ARX or they won't? You brought up important point and that concerns me now.

Comments from others are welcome as well.

Comment

The "sweet spot" - which every speaker has - isn't quite that small, so you wouldn't be restricted to just a single location. My point was simply that the Arx speakers reward proper configuration. Ribbon/planar tweeters are known for exceptional clarity and dynamics, but the trade off is they don't always disperse the sound as widely as some other tweeter styles. It also matter how far away you are; if you're very close aiming is more critical, but if your 10 or more feet away it becomes less of an issue.

If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite

Comment

I am running A5's as my L&R and am using an Emotiva to power those two speakers. This was suggested due to my basic amp, Denon 1612, and the fact that it has 2 pre-outs. The Arx A5's sounded great before the Emotiva, but after, sound Amazing. They really benefit by having the extra available power, imho. Best, Bradley

Comment

Originally posted by theJman
              One thing about all your systems jumps out at me though, so just a general observation... you don't list a single subwoofer that will give you much output in a 2800 ft^3 room like you have. They're simply too small, especially the 10" NHT. You should probably reconsider those and think more along the lines of something a bit larger.
              This jumped out as me as the most pressing issue for you, mstra. If you're using it for movies, maybe a ported subwoofer like the SVS PB12 NSD, HSU VTF-2/3, etc....both being 12" ported designs. Either of these would serve you better and still remain in your price range. Also, don't over look Power Sound Audio's ported 15" (XV-15?) and HSU's VTF-15h (the sub I currently use)....having headroom in the bass region is never a bad thing. That's just too much room for a compact 12" sealed sub to have to deal with at even moderate playback levels unless you have the sub in an extreme nearfield position...i.e. just a few inches away from your body. Even for music playback, those small sealed subs will likely leave you giving the active protection circuits a workout for anything but low level listening...they will also begin to roll off quite high in a room of that size.

Jim is correct that you're going to receive glowing Arx reviews at this forum. Lots of other great speakers out there (and maybe you even prefer another brand or model to Arx, who knows?), but we're all here because we've been very satisfied with Arx. So, we're definitely biased. However, most have auditioned (and owned) multiple brands of loudspeaker, only to find that we prefer the sound, value, and quality of Arx over other offerings near this price range.

With that out in the open, I think the A5's would serve you well and that you have your head right about external amplification. Just please consider a ported 12" or 15" sub like I listed or at least dual sealed 12" subs with a lot of active EQ.

Comment

Here is what you do my friend, I have you're first selection almost, I use the A5s LCR, you could just two A5s and the A2C and four A1bs and get the EMO XPA3, mine three A5s just love that amp, power the remaining speakers with your reciever. I would take a serious look at these, two of the XS15s would be real nice in your room.
                http://www.powersoundaudio.com/colle.../products/xs15
                or start with one of these, it will hold you over till you can get two, I know:p
                http://www.powersoundaudio.com/colle.../products/xv15
                If you just want your sub shopping to be over, just get this, new design, it's the XV30 with dual front firing drivers instead of down.
                http://www.powersoundaudio.com/products/xv30f That would be all she wrote.
                I have these and love them, that's why I'm reco'ing PSA and ARX

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/colle.../products/xs30

Cheers Jeff, now you have it, mission accomplished........enjoy

Comment

Thanks for all your responses. I appreciate your help. I have exactly 4 more weeks to close my new home. Can order then. Hopefully Jon will have A2C ready & available by then.

Comment

I have another question - A1Bs' detail page states that they are rear-ported like all other models. So, I was wondering if they would sound great on wall or in cabinets with right amount of space for the port to push/pull air.....OR they would sound great on stands where there is no wall behind them.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Comment

Originally posted by mstraudio
                      I have another question - A1Bs' detail page states that they are rear-ported like all other models. So, I was wondering if they would sound great on wall or in cabinets with right amount of space for the port to push/pull air.....OR they would sound great on stands where there is no wall behind them.

Thanks in advance for your response.
                      As far as in cabinets, it doesn't matter if they are rear ported or front ported or sealed, the in cabinet will kind of horn load the speaker causing more issues in its response than just port clearance.

I'm running A1s on wall mounts with the port plug in and I don't have any issues with sound. Ideally the A1b and other Arx models do better alittle ways from boundries.

Comment

Working...
                      X