Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Center channel for use with A5's

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Center channel for use with A5's

    Does anyone have any recommendations on a center channel that would match well with a pair of A5's? I've been waiting for the A2b but my center channel is really poor with the a5's and I'm getting tired of the imbalance. Any good quality ones out there with a similar planar magnetic tweeter? Especially if you already have something paired up with a5's or a1's.

    Even though my 113" screen and setup is huge, I've got equipment under the screen so another a5 there won't work. I've got about 30" wide, 18" deep, 12" high as my max dimensions for the CC.

    thanks,
    steve

  • #2
    Isn't the A2b set to arrive shortly? I thought it was going to be available in a little bit.

    If you take yourself too seriously, expect me to do the exact opposite

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by HTGuy
      Does anyone have any recommendations on a center channel that would match well with a pair of A5's? I've been waiting for the A2b but my center channel is really poor with the a5's and I'm getting tired of the imbalance. Any good quality ones out there with a similar planar magnetic tweeter? Especially if you already have something paired up with a5's or a1's.

      thanks,
      steve
      Steve, what about the single A1b that Jon offered? Per Jon, you can return it when the A2b restocks (see below). Jeff said in one of his posts that the A1b worked well as a CC (with the A5s).

      http://www.theaudioinsider.com/produ...roducts_id=229&

      Originally posted by Jon Lane
      An option for users who want an all-Arx system before the A2 restocks, we've posted single A1bs for sale here. Customers may get just the single A1b for center and then return it when the replacement A2 arrives.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by theJman
        Isn't the A2b set to arrive shortly? I thought it was going to be available in a little bit.
        Jon was hoping to let us know around the middle of January what the deal is with the A2b/c, but he said that the CEDIA show last month delayed some things with the OEMs. Haven't heard anything since then.

        I think when he posted the single A1b as a center, it to me was a hint not to hold your breath for the A2 anytime soon.

        Comment


        • #5
          [QUOTE=HTGuy;8714]Does anyone have any recommendations on a center channel that would match well with a pair of A5's? I've been waiting for the A2b but my center channel is really poor with the a5's and I'm getting tired of the imbalance. Any good quality ones out there with a similar planar magnetic tweeter? Especially if you already have something paired up with a5's or a1's.

          Even though my 113" screen and setup is huge, I've got equipment under the screen so another a5 there won't work. I've got about 30" wide, 18" deep, 12" high as my max dimensions for the CC.


          Steve, you should jump on a single A1b until the A2? arrives. It works very well in both vertical and horizontal options, I think there is a little better (wider dispersion) pattern in the horiz. with the tweeter rotated to a vertical position, just turn up your trim levels a bit and you will be quite happy, as D has pointed out. Try it, you'll like it. I just picked up that B-stock pair of A1b's to setup a LCR front stage just to try it out after my buddy Jimbo (Jman) was so happy with the A1b + A2b combo. I just want to hear an all monitor front stage to compare the imaging to my towers. I think you will be very happy with the A1b center with the A5
          Cheers Jeff

          Comment


          • #6
            Sorry to side track... Jeff, how was the all monitor (A1b) LCR vs. the A5s in terms of imaging? Once the trim levels are adjusted, are they pretty close? I'm guessing the A5s will have better midrange resolution?

            How's the A1bs LCR vs. A5s and A1b center vs. A5s LCR compare? Thank you, Jeff.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by D'Argo
              Sorry to side track... Jeff, how was the all monitor (A1b) LCR vs. the A5s in terms of imaging? Once the trim levels are adjusted, are they pretty close? I'm guessing the A5s will have better midrange resolution?

              How's the A1bs LCR vs. A5s and A1b center vs. A5s LCR compare? Thank you, Jeff.
              You are so welcome my friend, man are you a nice person. Sorry to disappoint you D, but I don't have the B-stock A1b's yet, just ordered them a few days ago (Jon where are they:roll:) so I can't make any comments on a LCR A1b comparison. As far as the A5 mains and A1b center I was totally shocked how well they integrated as a front stage, the A1b as a center once adjusted by bumping up the trim kept up with the A5's like they were made for each other, it really is remarkable how tonally balanced these speakers are, the A1b center never sounded small or out of place. As a an all A5 LCR front stage, the center never overpowered the mains and stood out if you know what I mean, they just kind of gelled together akin to watching jello change from a liquid to a solid form, they just seemed to come together so naturally with precise imaging and threw such a broad stage, all around the speakers and from behind them, never in your face or forward at all, off axis was amazing as well with a lot of vertical and horizontal dispersion with absolute luscious :) mid range resolution. One word of caution, they need room (A5 LCR) to really shine and open up, my room seems to have been built for this setup. I crossed them over at 60 Hz and ran them without subs with some movies and I was impressed, these babies can dig deep with plenty of clean output, huge front stage, then I played the same movies with the A5's flanked by dual PSA XS30's and well I was speechless, cudos to TAI and PSA. I think I would have preferred the LCR A5's on their own with most subs, this combination is that good. I'm thinking when I do get the LCR A1b's setup, if they image as well as the LCR A5's, I will be very happy, that's how good these A5's with all the drivers implemented and integrated so well into the design parameters can seem to work as one single driver speaker, no easy task, I think with the minimalist Xover design this feat is accomplished, nothing to get in the way so to speak. Well I'm rambling, I will post my impressions of the LCR A1b combo soon, when my speaks get here. I wonder how a 5.2 all A5 setup would sound:twisted:
              Cheers my friend, Jeff

              Comment


              • #8
                Thank you, Jeff. No worries about the A1bs.

                Nicely written, sir. I'm happy to read about your impressions, my friend. I hope to have the room and the subs like you someday. My Arx systems sound good, I'm thinking of purchasing a home just to house my speakers :) I bumped up the volume a bit today and experienced more mid-bass slam from the A5s and you're right, the A5s do need room (I think they're overkill for my space but I'm not complaining). Wow, a 5.2 all A5 setup? That's intense. Add a couple more XS30's for quads and that set-up will just be killer.

                I hope Steve avails of the A1b single as a CC or better yet, may be the A2bs can come soon...

                Cheers back, Jeff. It's been too quiet on the forum lately...

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hmm, I see that Jon said he would take the A1b back, but I've been using some older Atlantic Tech speakers as rears. Maybe I could use the a1b center now and order a second a1b plus an a2b later. The older AT rears are rear speakers though with a wider dispersion but the specs on them are not good. They seem fine for rears though so I was going to keep them. The only time I'm dissappointed with them is that I like to use All Ch Stereo when watching sports. They have a high cutoff freq and it can really sound odd when I do that. Are people using the a1b's for rears?

                  thanks,

                  steve

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Random find: This can be had for $299 today only at newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...1&ParentOnly=1 with an email promo. Actually they have a lot of speakers at 40% off today. I heard this particular one at a friends house (out of state so I can't borrow it) and it sounded very good but I have no idea how it would fit with the A5's.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by HTGuy
                      Hmm, I see that Jon said he would take the A1b back, but I've been using some older Atlantic Tech speakers as rears. Maybe I could use the a1b center now and order a second a1b plus an a2b later. The older AT rears are rear speakers though with a wider dispersion but the specs on them are not good. They seem fine for rears though so I was going to keep them. The only time I'm dissappointed with them is that I like to use All Ch Stereo when watching sports. They have a high cutoff freq and it can really sound odd when I do that. Are people using the a1b's for rears?

                      thanks,

                      steve
                      Oh, I didn't know that you already have an A1b pair. That's great as you can try one A1b for center duty. I use the A1s as rears in my 5.1 and they integrate nicely with the rest of the system. I switch back and forth between just the A5s and multi-channel when listening to music. I like 'em both and can't really settle on what I like best.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Sorry I was confusing. I don't have an A1B pair. I was just thinking that maybe if I got one now for center, I could move it to the back later and buy another one. I'm tempted to try the Def Tech center from newegg because I thought it was great when I heard it, but I'd be out ~$60 for restocking/shipping if it didn't mate well.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by HTGuy
                          Sorry I was confusing. I don't have an A1B pair. I was just thinking that maybe if I got one now for center, I could move it to the back later and buy another one. I'm tempted to try the Def Tech center from newegg because I thought it was great when I heard it, but I'd be out ~$60 for restocking/shipping if it didn't mate well.
                          Steve, personally I wouldn't do it. I think it would stick out like a sore thumb, it probably is a good center channel speaker, just not paired with ARX 5s. Just my thoughts.
                          Jeff

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by D'Argo
                            Thank you, Jeff. No worries about the A1bs.

                            Nicely written, sir. I'm happy to read about your impressions, my friend. I hope to have the room and the subs like you someday. My Arx systems sound good, I'm thinking of purchasing a home just to house my speakers :) I bumped up the volume a bit today and experienced more mid-bass slam from the A5s and you're right, the A5s do need room (I think they're overkill for my space but I'm not complaining). Wow, a 5.2 all A5 setup? That's intense. Add a couple more XS30's for quads and that set-up will just be killer.

                            I hope Steve avails of the A1b single as a CC or better yet, may be the A2bs can come soon...

                            Cheers back, Jeff. It's been too quiet on the forum lately...
                            Thank you sir. I agree that Steve should jump on the A1b single. You mention overkill with the A5s in your space, what's nice about them is how well they sound at lower volumes, I had a surprise the other day with the A5s on a particular movie sound track, the mid range clarity of this particilar song was just so amazing I had to rewind the BD to listen over and over again, it just took me by surprise. I guess you read my mind with all A5s and four XS30's, one day maybe when the missus comes out of shell shock. I had a pair of the HTD level three monitors here for awhile, they are out-right eye candy, they sounded good but I just couldn't justify keeping them, I think a lot of the $ was put into cosmetics, well anyway my A1bs just arrived (thanks Jon) so I will be busy setting up the A1b LCR and post my impressions. Take care my friend, you're right, where is everyone?

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by jnordi
                              Steve, personally I wouldn't do it. I think it would stick out like a sore thumb, it probably is a good center channel speaker, just not paired with ARX 5s. Just my thoughts.
                              Jeff
                              I agree with Jeff. The Def Tech center is probably a great center but it may not be timbre-matched to the A5s and may stick out ("like a sore thumb"). I had SLS speakers with ribbon tweeters that I used as surrounds (while using the A1s and A2 as LCR) and the high end stood out. The all-Arx system blends beautifully and they are transparent (based on my experience as compared to mixing with the SLS speakers).

                              You can definitely get another A1b when the A2b/c restocks and the A1bs can be moved back for surround duty. I also read somewhere that you can also cross the A1bs lower than the usual 80 Hz since they play deeper and this adds a "new dimension" to the surround experience. I haven't done this as my current receiver does not allow me to cross the speakers individually.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X