Arx A5 vs. Swan 6.2/6.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arx A5 vs. Swan 6.2/6.1

I want to stream MP3s from a hard drive and be able to control them from anywhere in the house with a remote. Something like this.....

External HDD ---> Computer----> stream wirelessly to some sort of device connected to my receiver. Then, I want to have some sort of remote I can carry that I can control volume and selections with.

Am I dreaming or what?

http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/pr...ebox-duet.html

Your prayers are answered!

I have the squeezebox duet and I love it. There are other options but at its price level it's pretty hard to beat for a complete solution. You can also stream internet radio stations, slacker, pandora, sirius-xm, etc.

Comment

Oh God thats awesome. Thanks for the link. This is on my short list of stuff to buy. $400 seems to be a reasonable price to control all my MP3s from anywhere in the house (or the back deck.

Must have.
      :woo:

Comment

It really is a great product, I love mine. Hope you enjoy yours when you get it as much as I enjoy mine!

Comment

Originally posted by hammondc
          Oh God thats awesome. Thanks for the link. This is on my short list of stuff to buy. $400 seems to be a reasonable price to control all my MP3s from anywhere in the house (or the back deck.

Must have.
          :woo:
          It might make you move from MP3's to FLAC files......I spent several days, an new hard drive and killed my computers CD drive reripping all my music into FLAC.

Comment

FLAC is definitely the way to go.
            Originally posted by Monkeypimp
            It might make you move from MP3's to FLAC files......I spent several days, an new hard drive and killed my computers CD drive reripping all my music into FLAC.

Comment

Originally posted by dvenardos
              FLAC is definitely the way to go.
              as long as you keep them backed up you will never have to rerip again. :applause::thumbsup:

Comment

Yeah and terabyte drives are cheap -

Comment

yes they are. I can find them for under $80 daily.

Comment

I gotta put a plug in for Sonos...I have owned a Squeezebox, a Duet, and Sonos and I prefer Sonos. This is definitely just a matter of preference, though...the Logitech stuff is very good, too. I just never cared for the Slimserver piece you have to run on your home PC. But to each their own on that....

I believe Yamaha came out with some gear recently, as well...but I don't really know a thing about it....

Randy

Comment

I'm probably a bit late here, but the Apple Airport Express is also a good choice at $99, if you use iTunes. Plugs into your receiver with either RCA/Mini or Optical/Mini.

If you have an iPod Touch, you can use it as a remote to control what your playing.

Since iTunes doesn't support FLAC, this would be best with a M4A Apple Lossless libraries or MP3 of AAC.

$199 iPod Touch + $99 Airport Express to control your stuff. Hope that helps!

Comment

Resurecting the thread

I have been in the process of ripping all my CD's to Apple Lossless via iTunes for the last week. About 50% done and nervous for my DVD drive on my PC but so far loving it. As another option to those thinking about going to a music server, check out the Apple TV, fiber-optic output to an outboard DAC or AVR, can be used for photo slide shows (thanks Dave Solomon for the tip), stores your tunes and connects to your iTunes account. My favorite part of the iTunes portion is the home sharing that allows 5 devices to be authorized for the same library. Rip all your CD's to one system, play on 4 others (iPod, Apple TV or as in my case, an older wireless laptop in another system acting as another server).

Oh, and when you start listening to your MP3 collection though your stereo you will probably want to convert to lossless as others have stated, huge difference.

Comment

Arx A5 vs. Swan 6.2/6.1

Are there any members who have listened to both? What are your impressions? I'm not looking for a "this is better than that" but annecdotal commentary on the listening experience between the speakers. Jon, feel free to post your impressions as well.

Comment

Just a bump. Any commentary you can provide Jon, would be appreciated.

Comment

yeah i'm curious myself... i find myself in the market for a set of towers and not sure which ones to buy.

Comment

Working...
                              X