Increase power to my A5's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Increase power to my A5's

I am running a 5.1 setup with A5's as the L&R. The avr is a modest Denon 1612. The A5's sound great, but would sound even better with more power. I am considering an amp to power the L&R and the Denon has pre outs for the L&R. My info is that an Emotiva UPA-200 or a Crown XlLS 1000 are good low cost options. Some help from the experts is needed and appreciated. TIA, Bradley

Originally posted by Bandg
    I am running a 5.1 setup with A5's as the L&R. The avr is a modest Denon 1612. The A5's sound great, but would sound even better with more power. I am considering an amp to power the L&R and the Denon has pre outs for the L&R. My info is that an Emotiva UPA-200 or a Crown XlLS 1000 are good low cost options. Some help from the experts is needed and appreciated. TIA, Bradley
    I would probably go with the Emotiva amp. The Crown has a fan which i've heard some say can be kind of annoying unless you mod it. The Emotiva UPA200 would give about 150-165 watts at 6ohm which should be more than enough for the A5s to really sing.

Comment

Originally posted by gtpsuper24
      I would probably go with the Emotiva amp. The Crown has a fan which i've heard some say can be kind of annoying unless you mod it. The Emotiva UPA200 would give about 150-165 watts at 6ohm which should be more than enough for the A5s to really sing.
      Big +1 on the Emotiva.

I used to work in pro audio and I can tell you that pro amps are usually designed with maximum gain and output current in mind. The last few I have experimented with had varying degrees of hiss at low volumes and always had fans which would come on under rigorous use.

The Emotiva UPA-200 is a fantastic value and would be a HUGE step-up for you. Buy the UPA-200 and enjoy. :D

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation guys. I had come to that conclusion from previous advice, but the more you read forums the more +'s/-'s one finds. I plan on going with the Emotiva, just have to figure how to sneak it in the house. My family keeps me on a tight budget.:D Best, Bradley

Comment

Thanks for the confirmation guys. I had come to that conclusion from previous advice, but the more you read forums the more +'s/-'s one finds. I plan on going with the Emotiva, just have to figure how to sneak it in the house. My family keeps me on a tight budget.:D Best, Bradley
          Awesome! Pix and a review once you get the Emotiva in. :)

Just make sure to level balance it with your other speakers. You'll probably have to reduce the output of the L+R channels to keep pace. The good news is that your Denon will be running cooler once you shut off those front two channels.

Comment

Bandg, I'm driving the A5's with a Crown XLS1500, with gain on the amp set to 100% and speaker levels adjusted in the receiver, dead solid quiet with tons of headroom, fan has not engaged once.

Comment

Brad, the UPA-200 is an excellent amp, I've owned EMO amps and was very pleased with them, with their gain structure (32dB) almost any receiver's pre-amp outputs could drive them, they run cool and barely break a sweat, I chose pro amps because of the Class D technology, my 1500 and 2000 weigh in at under 11lbs. each, they can cause some ground loop hum which is very annoying, but there are easy ways to get around this and fan noise is not an issue. In Emo's defense they have five year transferable warranties and customer service is second to none. I think you will be very happy with the UPA-200, resale value is also high, good luck and congrats on your decision.
              Best regards, Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by jnordi
                Bandg, I'm driving the A5's with a Crown XLS1500, with gain on the amp set to 100% and speaker levels adjusted in the receiver, dead solid quiet with tons of headroom, fan has not engaged once.
                As soon as Emotiva launches a line with a class-D front end on top of a SMPS, I'm gonna be looking real hard. That's good to hear about the Crown XLS. I have experimented with Behringer, QSC, Yamaha, and Crown class A/B/G/H with std toroidal transformers and could never shake a low amount of hiss in a quiet listening room...no matter how good the dynamics were (and they were freaking amazing), I just couldn't get over that. It was a non issue in my friend's DIY subs.

Comment

Originally posted by BufordTJustice
                  As soon as Emotiva launches a line with a class-D front end on top of a SMPS, I'm gonna be looking real hard. That's good to hear about the Crown XLS. I have experimented with Behringer, QSC, Yamaha, and Crown class A/B/G/H with std toroidal transformers and could never shake a low amount of hiss in a quiet listening room...no matter how good the dynamics were (and they were freaking amazing), I just couldn't get over that. It was a non issue in my friend's DIY subs.
                  I hear you brother with the Emo class D FE and SMPS, I think a lot of people will be looking very hard. Even low level hiss is unacceptable to me, I experienced that with the XLS1000, the 1500 has a 7dB SN higher than the 1000, this may not seem to be significant but I assure you it is. The 2000 has an even higher SN than the 1500. I just really like these amps, like you said they are so dynamic. There is a solution that many folks are using with the XLS and other pro amps dealing with hiss and ground loop issues, using a cheater plug on the amp, plugging that into their SS's or whatever and then the SS into a portable GFCI receptacle. Not really a big hassle to get rid of hum and hiss and cheap to do. Like this, take care my man.

http://www.amazon.com/Tower-Manufact...able+gfci+plug

Cheers Jeff

Comment

Brad, I would also consider this:
                    http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/...roducts/upa500
                    The difference in power between the two is in my opinion negligible, I don't think it would be noticed to make a difference. The reason I suggested the 500 is that the 1612 would seem to run out of steam rather quickly! My dumb, sorry brother I just realized that the 1612 only has L&R and sub preouts. The 200 is highly recommended.
                    Cheers Jeff

Comment

All good information. I appreciate the input. I went on the Emotiva site and noticed that they will be shipping next batch on the 25th. Thus, gives me time to work my plan.:D Regards, Bradley

Comment

All good information. I appreciate the input. I went on the Emotiva site and noticed that they will be shipping next batch on the 25th. Thus, gives me time to work my plan.:D Regards, Bradley
                        Brad you could email EMO and see if they have any B-stock amps that you are interested in, I do it all the time and they don't advertise them on the site, but they will get back to you with what they do have. You just missed a great sale they were having, I think the 200 was $309. good luck brother.
                        Jeff

Comment

Thanks Jeff, I will contact them. Best, Bradley

Comment

Thanks Jeff, I will contact them. Best, Bradley
                            You're welcome my friend, let us know the outcome.
                            Cheers Jeff;)

Comment

I called and they extended the 10% sale on a new upa-200. Pays to call. Once the amp is hooked up do you re-run the room correction program on the Denon 1612, or do you simply adjust the settings manually in the eq area? Thanks for the help in advance. Regards, Bradley

Comment

Working...
                              X