Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a5rx-c Crossover repair question

PRIMARY QUESTION:
    What is supposed to be the nominal resistor values for the tweeter crossover network.

Have had these speakers for years now and they are great! Problem is after a few glasses of whisky I tend to drive them at their limits. The speakers themselves are fine but the crossover board not so much. I removed both channels' crossover boards and on both the 2 wirewound resistors are burnt to a crisp (but still functional). On both crossovers the subwoofer capacitor is bulging, along with one of the mid-range caps. Figuring out the capacitance value is simple, its written on it. Problem is the resistors. I know they are 10W but the model number after doesnt bring up anything on google. Furthermore, because of the excess power they couldn't handle, the surface of the crossover board is scorched so the original writing is missing. When I measure them removed from the circuit I get a consistent 4.1 OHM reading on on resistor that is installed parallel in the circuit (I believe they are 4ohm nomimal. But on the other resistor (the one in series) reads ~4.7ohm and the the one from the other crossover reads ~8ohm. Therefore one of the resistors are damaged and giving an incorrect reading (im leaning towards its the 8ohm resistor reading that is damaged). I also plan to upgrade to 20w wirewound resistors to help prevent further excess damage to the crossover boards. I do understand that the failure of the one resistor in a sense is acting as a "fuse" and upgrading to 20w is effectively increasing the "fuse" rating which would make the tweeter susceptible to damage.

Luckily removing the crossover boards out of the speakers isnt too bad. The only modification I have to do is reconnect the midrange wiring as I had to cut it in half. Luckily my arm fits up to the tweeter so i can re-route that wiring once repairs are completed, otherwise its nice open space down at the subs to reconnect everything.

Any help is appreciated.

Equipment:
    Speakers - (2) - A5rx-c
    Amp - Parasound halo integrated

I know, i know, "Turn your **** down!"
    But I dont want too....

I can't help you with the crossover repairs, but I can help you if you like it loud, get some 753's haha, was your amp clipping ?? I have heard of blown drivers but not crossover boards frying up like that.

Cheers,

Comment

Drop us a line and we'll be happy to assist. (and don't clip an amp into a speaker or things will eventually break.)

Comment

Originally posted by creimes77 View Post
        I can't help you with the crossover repairs, but I can help you if you like it loud, get some 753's haha, was your amp clipping ?? I have heard of blown drivers but not crossover boards frying up like that.

Cheers,
        Yeah I've been eyeballing the new 700 series.

As for the amp clipping, no, the Parasound really is a great match, once you hit clipping territory the mid range and subs hit their Xmax range. I really cant go into clipping without damaging the speakers.

The damage occurred after many hours of having them at their limits. I know the drivers where very hot after the fact and so were the crossover boards. I believe it was the consistent power output combined with heat that did them in. I will say im super impressed the drivers have made it through what they have been through.

Comment

Originally posted by plyanthony View Post

Yeah I've been eyeballing the new 700 series.

As for the amp clipping, no, the Parasound really is a great match, once you hit clipping territory the mid range and subs hit their Xmax range. I really cant go into clipping without damaging the speakers.

The damage occurred after many hours of having them at their limits. I know the drivers where very hot after the fact and so were the crossover boards. I believe it was the consistent power output combined with heat that did them in. I will say im super impressed the drivers have made it through what they have been through.

Yikes, you must had them pumpin for some time haha, maybe you need pro speakers meant for big rooms haha, I'm absolutely in love with my 753's, they have a forever home and sound fantastic and being the size they are sound very large which i will say I really enjoy, a very natural sounding speaker, the bass drivers, mid and tweeter blend very nicely.

Comment

Hey Anthony how did you make out with your crossover problem? I like you was way heavy into a Metallica concert video and my right front took a dump 😢. I was/am driving them with a Cinepro in mono. Well over 300+ watts so I know the amp was not anywhere near clipping. My fault totally but now I’m in need of a fix.
            Thanks for any help in advance.
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Isern View Post
              Hey Anthony how did you make out with your crossover problem? I like you was way heavy into a Metallica concert video and my right front took a dump 😢. I was/am driving them with a Cinepro in mono. Well over 300+ watts so I know the amp was not anywhere near clipping. My fault totally but now I’m in need of a fix.
              Thanks for any help in advance.
              Steve
              Send Jon an email if you haven't already, hopefully he can help you out.

Cheers,

Comment

Working...
              X