a 2.4 in tv cabinet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a 2.4 in tv cabinet

So I'm thinking of getting a new tv cabinet and the 3 compartments below the top are about 1 inch larger than the a2.4. Thinking about loading 3 in the cabinet and elevate the front so they are better aimed for seating. Would also put the plug in the back of the speaker. LCR are cut off for the sub. Thoughts on if there'd be negative issues in this setup?

Potentially, I could also cut the back of the cabinet out and build bracing in it's place to allow for the port on the speaker to be open if that would be noticeably better.

The A6.5's four small ports are on the front of the cabinet, our assumption being that as a strict center - unlike the A2.4 being used so commonly as a stand monitor - it'll be placed in or near furniture. The front ports allows the A6.5 to be nestled into tighter places.

Stopping the port mitigates some of the excess acoustical loading in the low frequencies, but as with any speaker, that loading affects the speaker in a range extending a couple octaves higher than port tune. Again, this is not a specific model or port issue but a speaker issue.

(Our first instinct when we see a port on the back of a speaker is that it'll interfere with a nearby wall. Ports are quite immune to walls at surprisingly small distances. Speakers and walls are a different matter.)

Fortunately stopping the ports also converts the speaker to an octave higher cutoff, and that facilitates the transfer to the conventional (and recommended) THX-style active subwoofer and it's response below 80Hz.

I'd stop the ports, although anything to relieve a little of the close boundary effect may help any comparable speaker.

Comment

How does the a2.4 perform with the port blocker put in? I'm assuming since it ships with one that it's relatively not a big modifier above 100hz?

Comment

Originally posted by wdeydwondrer View Post
        How does the a2.4 perform with the port blocker put in? I'm assuming since it ships with one that it's relatively not a big modifier above 100hz?
        Stopping the port with the included plug converts the speaker from bass reflex - deep bass, sharp cutoff - to sealed operation - less bass, shallow roll off.

Stopping the port gives any of our reflex models a roughly 80Hz acoustical highpass, second order slope function. This serves to mesh with the small speaker THX 80Hz electronic highpass crossover in AVRs and processors.

There is no change above this point, so you're correct that 100Hz+ output is unaffected.

For more on basic sub integration, which is important to high performance sound, see here.

Comment

So have been running the 2.4 in the cabinet for a couple months and while i'm sure there is a curve difference on a meter, I can't actually here a difference. Ya'll did solid on these speakers. They don't even seem to be THAT focused, off axis listening doesn't get horrific like some other speakers i've run.

Comment

Originally posted by wdeydwondrer View Post
            So have been running the 2.4 in the cabinet for a couple months and while i'm sure there is a curve difference on a meter, I can't actually here a difference. Ya'll did solid on these speakers. They don't even seem to be THAT focused, off axis listening doesn't get horrific like some other speakers i've run.
            Thanks. The A2.4 has excellent spread across the space and makes for good center channel output as well as excellent stereo image. We specifically engineered it in for those two uses.

Comment

Since we are pretty much at the restock dates, where are the bundle deals going to be listed? Also hope to see a 2x a2.4 bundle but don't recall seeing that in the past lol. Have a couple friends waiting to see price on bundles and I need a stereo set. Can't wait!

Comment

A1.5, A2.4, and A4.5 are already sale-priced (for now) and there's a nice flat rate delivery option in the checkout.

Comment

Shipping adds up lol, got my order in, now just to wait impatiently like a spoiled brat!!! Might add a set or two of 4.5 too, that vesa mount could be a game changer.

Comment

Working...
                  X