General A-series questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post

It can only help. I'd stop the port too.
    Right on. I'll def add those sound panels then.

Comment

Originally posted by ItzMeZelio View Post

Right on dude! I hope you have fun with your setup. Those towers look like monsters.

I barely started looking into this hobby about 4 weeks ago. It's a lot to digest. Once I feel I understand one thing two more things pop up that I have to do research on. It''s actually really fun.

Those examples you gave are pretty legit! Thanks for that information. I saw a review from Techno dad on youtube about AVRS. He said not to worry about different watts from receivers as it can look really complicated but they all perform well. Just wanted to make sure.
      If care how that works, the very rough math is easy. It isn't spot on, but basically sound pressure increases by 3db every time you double the input wattage. The rated sensitivity is the sound pressure the speaker outputs when fed one watt of power and measured at a distance of one foot from the cones.

So 1w = 89db, 2w = 92db, 4w = 95db, 8w = 98db, etc... So you can see why your receiver's output really doesn't matter a ton. 95w vs 110w might be a 1-1.5db change. This is why anytime someone talks about really pushing speakers they have separate amps because they push more clean power than about any receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by MC024 View Post

If care how that works, the very rough math is easy. It isn't spot on, but basically sound pressure increases by 3db every time you double the input wattage. The rated sensitivity is the sound pressure the speaker outputs when fed one watt of power and measured at a distance of one foot from the cones.

So 1w = 89db, 2w = 92db, 4w = 95db, 8w = 98db, etc... So you can see why your receiver's output really doesn't matter a ton. 95w vs 110w might be a 1-1.5db change. This is why anytime someone talks about really pushing speakers they have separate amps because they push more clean power than about any receiver.
        That is really interesting. So if i'm understanding this correctly. The A2.4 pushes out 89DB @ 1w @ 1 meter. So if i'm correct 110w of power would be... 106db-109db @ 64-128 watts @ 5-6 meters. I think my math is wrong there but I also think i'm kinda close.

I watched this video from Techno dad to better understand what you were saying. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53KBKYeJdPs

I remember reading somewhere that speakers run off of 1w of power. I did not know this how it all works. Really cool stuff. 110w sounds plenty enough lol

Comment

That is really interesting. So if i'm understanding this correctly. The A2.4 pushes out 89DB @ 1w @ 1 meter. So if i'm correct 110w of power would be... 106db-109db @ 64-128 watts @ 5-6 meters. I think my math is wrong there but I also think i'm kinda close.
          Yeah you're definitely in the ballpark. And that's purely just raw calculations for the perfect setup outside with no obstructions I believe. It doesn't take into account room gain, reflections, and anything else that might be going on in your space. Sound is just waves, which means it can be simplified into basic physics for a baseline understanding but when you reach real world applications it can become incredibly complex very fast.

Comment

Yeah you're definitely in the ballpark. And that's purely just raw calculations for the perfect setup outside with no obstructions I believe. It doesn't take into account room gain, reflections, and anything else that might be going on in your space. Sound is just waves, which means it can be simplified into basic physics for a baseline understanding but when you reach real world applications it can become incredibly complex very fast.
            That's really nuts. All these different formulas are on a different level.

Saw a video last night from a guy named HexiBase. He explained front ports and rear ports. Different type of ports and how they all work. Honestly felt like I was listening to a scientist talk about things i'd never understand haha. I just hope I make the cut when the speakers come out and I don't miss the sale.

Comment

That's really nuts. All these different formulas are on a different level.

Saw a video last night from a guy named HexiBase. He explained front ports and rear ports. Different type of ports and how they all work. Honestly felt like I was listening to a scientist talk about things i'd never understand haha. I just hope I make the cut when the speakers come out and I don't miss the sale.
              And that's what makes speaker design a beautiful form of engineering. You're mixing science with art. I'm an engineer and I could design a speaker on paper that would *work*, but my math wouldn't make it sound any better than my cat screeching at me wanting attention.

The mastery comes in the art of incorporating everything together to create a beautiful sound which is so incredibly over my head that I've stopped trying to grasp it all and instead just want to enjoy it. Crossover design, cabinet tuning, driver selection, and I'm missing a lot of other things.... All show just how talented Jon really is. Guys like him are artists that are also great at math when most of us are just lucky if we get one of those.

Comment

The mastery comes in the art of incorporating everything together to create a beautiful sound which is so incredibly over my head that I've stopped trying to grasp it all and instead just want to enjoy it. Crossover design, cabinet tuning, driver selection, and I'm missing a lot of other things.... All show just how talented Jon really is. Guys like him are artists that are also great at math when most of us are just lucky if we get one of those.
                I can imagine it takes a lot of knowledge to understand sound and how it works correctly.

You know I kept reading reviews on the Chane's on the reddit and different other sites. Everyone mentioned Jon. His name was used in every other post if not every single one. I ended up calling the phone line because my emails did not seem like they were going through. When he picked up I felt like I was talking to the CEO of a big company.

Before I even called I was comparing the Chane's to other speakers out there. They were surprisingly cheaper for the same specs if not better. I didn't really understand that at the time. I can easily tell now that Jon loves what he does and wants to share a piece of that love with people of similar tastes. That's pretty rad. Glad the guys on r/HomeTheater told me not to buy a soundbar lol

Comment

I can imagine it takes a lot of knowledge to understand sound and how it works correctly.

You know I kept reading reviews on the Chane's on the reddit and different other sites. Everyone mentioned Jon. His name was used in every other post if not every single one. I ended up calling the phone line because my emails did not seem like they were going through. When he picked up I felt like I was talking to the CEO of a big company.

Before I even called I was comparing the Chane's to other speakers out there. They were surprisingly cheaper for the same specs if not better. I didn't really understand that at the time. I can easily tell now that Jon loves what he does and wants to share a piece of that love with people of similar tastes. That's pretty rad. Glad the guys on r/HomeTheater told me not to buy a soundbar lol
                  Forget soundbars. TV speakers are the real deal ;) I'm joking of course.
                  I saw the new Sony series have subwoofers in the back! Maybe it's not a new thing, but first time I noticed that.

Comment

Originally posted by wkrpic View Post

Forget soundbars. TV speakers are the real deal ;) I'm joking of course.
                    I saw the new Sony series have subwoofers in the back! Maybe it's not a new thing, but first time I noticed that.
                    They do lol. My brother had a Atmos soundbar system with a wireless sub that connected both rear surrounds to it. He wanted me to buy the same kit. Anyways. I ended up going a different route and told him the reddit guys said a AVR + stand alone speakers have more sound quality. He returned that Atmos soundbar and bought the Denon 750H with a Klipsch reference home theater system.

He is getting his house wired later this week.

Comment

...that's what makes speaker design a beautiful form of engineering. You're mixing science with art. ... The mastery comes in the art of incorporating everything together...
                      Appreciate your comment, MC. It's said speaker design is a science - which it is - but science is a technically incomplete and overly casual term. The art is in balancing trade-offs, tuning, and the almost intangible element of just getting things to click.

I think there's a threshold beyond or over which reproduced sound has enough realism that it suspends disbelief. We become caught up in the sound. I have no idea what that threshold is technically but you know it when you hear it. It's a goal; don't always get there but it can be done.

Art can have extreme engineering behind it. When it does, it may transcend those technical roots.

Tech as art:

Technical art to elevate experience:

Comment

Working...
                      X