General A-series questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Freddyknuckles View Post
    Will the A5Deal coupon be stopped prior to the availability of the A2.4 or will it overlap for a couple weeks?
    Restocking takes about a month after we know and then announce the timeline. We'll leave the A5.5 code active for the first two weeks of that period, more or less.

In other words, once the A1.5 and A2.4 restock announcement happens, the clock starts and expires after about two weeks.

Comment

Gotcha.
      Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post

No, the SB drivers appear in the L Series. The A Series have their own.

Depend on what we mean by upgrade:
        • The A6.5 gains sensitivity by using larger woofers and by not going as low as the A2.4.
        • The A6.5 is as close a match for the A5.5 as possible in a compact horizontal speaker using the identical midrange and treble system.
        • The A6.5 may appeal to users who prefer that the treble and mid be aligned vertically.

The A2.4 is a very popular speaker for good reasons. It's also as good a full range, subwooferless speaker as either the A1.5 or A5.5. I'd stick with 3x A2.4 myself.

I'm sure it will happen, but I see the A5.5 | A2.4 | A5.5 system, which is hugely popular, as testament to just what the A2.4 can do. In some ways it's actually impossible to beat a 2-way with a 3-way. Speakers are always trade-offs.
        So I can better understand the trade offs, do you mind explaining the ways a 2 way horizontal center channel beats a 3 way horizontal center channel?

Comment

Originally posted by Gerry View Post
          So I can better understand the trade offs, do you mind explaining the ways a 2 way horizontal center channel beats a 3 way horizontal center channel?
          It can offer benefits, but since speakers always present trade offs, not necessarily in all ways. The good 2-way may have less acoustical energy storage, which translates as a more seamless, open character, aspects of its sound the A2.4 gets high marks for. The 3-way generally involves more phase rotation, greater acoustical energy storage, and can have a more mechanical sound. Of course, it also generally has larger acoustical size and the wider-dispersion vertical treble/midrange array has its fans.

(As an extreme example, my own desert island speaker is the classic 15" horn-topped studio monitor, done with super-drivers that barely exist. If they did, the result is probably the most enjoyably musical sound a speaker can make. Much of its trick is the way a very good 2-way works, and the compromises at both frequency extremes such speakers have are good investments in sheer musicality everywhere else.)

Comment

Hello Jon, I called you last week sometime explaining that i'm a first time speaker buyer. The speakers i'm looking for will mainly be used for gaming, movies and other website based TV shows. I was originally looking for powered speakers but many people from various audiophile reddit threads suggested for me to go with a AVR setup. After looking at several different speakers I ended up running into the Chanes. The sleek look of the speakers really sold me. Not to mention the specs were on par with other speakers for a much cheaper price point. That's rad. I decided to go with 2 A1.5s and 1 A2.4 in a 3.1 setup. I'll be using a Denon S750H as it has room for higher end setups later.

The space in which i'm doing this is very small though and they will be on a desk. Lets just say it's a 9x9 room. Both the left and right speakers will be able to be put about 1-3 feet away from the wall. Which in turn puts them 3-4 feet away from me while I am gaming. I'll be about 8 feet from them while watching movies or TV shows. I'm really concerned with the center speaker. I'm going to have to put it extremely close to wall so it won't have much breathing room. Out of all the speakers this will be the closest one to me. I'm wondering if it's going to be optimal at that range for gaming. I've noticed that they come with a port plug for the rear. I'm not exactly sure how that works or if it's best for my situation. Either way i'm going to buy it for any future setups I might have when I move.

Would you suggest I ditch the center and go for a 2.1 system in this space? Thanks in advance for any knowledge you might be able to share with me.

Comment

Hi IMZ and welcome. Some of those factors will apply fairly universally, such as speaker-to-wall acoustical loading and room to work with. All similar speakers will notice the near large boundaries and will alter response somewhat. One way to mitigate some of this is to use the port plug to convert the speaker to sealed, which raises it's bass cutoff and flattens it. It also helps integrate an active bass system below 80Hz.

The question of center speakers also asks if the A2.4 can even fit. It's fairly deep because it needs the internal air volume to reach deep down. They get used as main speakers in 2.0 a lot. Here again the port can be stopped with the plug we include for the same effect. The speaker becomes more wall friendly.

If you try 2.x without a center speaker the biggest factor by far will be the quality of the original mix - where is the center channel content gone and how well has it been sent there? If it's intact you're fine. If not, that content can be hard to hear.

Most of the setup hinges on factors that are not highly influenced by the specific speakers. You can conclude that the A1.5 and A2.4 will probably near the extreme performance end of their size and cost categories, so you won't want for output or bandwidth. They go loud and they go both low and high for 5" based models.

Comment

When you say that the port plug with raise it's bass cutoff and flatten it. Does that mean it's not gonna be as chest hitting as it was before? I keep reading things on crossovers and I believe it means when the speakers are trying to push out a bass response that's below 80hz it instead sends it to the sub. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The speaker will be able to fit. At best I can have it about 4 inches from the wall. I'm sure the A1.5's will sound way better than the 40$ logitechs I have sitting on my desk. Even if the center is not being used. I really want to use the whole package though. I guess it's gonna be a in your face gaming experience with the center sitting 2-3 feet from me while gaming.

FYI these will be connected to a PC as well as the TV. Not sure if that changes anything but just thought i'd mention it.

What exactly do you mean when you say I won't want for output or bandwith? I'm doing my due diligence to watch Youtube videos on how speakers work and what the difference in specs mean. It's really a lot of complicated stuff. So forgive me if my questions are pretty novice.

Comment

Originally posted by ItzMeZelio View Post
                  When you say that the port plug with raise it's bass cutoff and flatten it. Does that mean it's not gonna be as chest hitting as it was before? I keep reading things on crossovers and I believe it means when the speakers are trying to push out a bass response that's below 80hz it instead sends it to the sub. Correct me if I'm wrong.
                  All speakers have a natural cutoff point as frequency decreases, subs included. Think of them as the body of string or wind instruments - the larger the acoustical volume, the lower that cutoff. The ported, bass reflex speaker goes lower before that point, but there being no free lunches, when it reaches it it decreases in volume at about twice the rate of a sealed speaker as the frequency decreases more.

The sealed speaker - or a reflex speaker with its port blocked - works with the "small speaker" electronic setting in modern AVRs and processors to provide a transfer to a matching active, amplified subwoofer crossed over at the same frequency as it is. A standard point is 80Hz.

FYI these will be connected to a PC as well as the TV. Not sure if that changes anything but just thought i'd mention it.
                  You may know this but the passive speaker, which these are, needs an external amplifier. Your current speakers probably do not - their internal amplifier plugs into the wall and their signal comes through a small cable from the PC.

What exactly do you mean when you say I won't want for output or bandwith?
                  Compared to a common small desktop PC speaker system, the Chanes will have far deeper bass, more extended treble, and will play far louder, cleanly. As noted, they'll need an external amplifier.

Comment

10-4 - I'll do a little more research on cutoff points and sealed ported speakers to fully understand. I do know they are passive speakers and plan to pair them with Denon 750h AVR.

Really looking forward to this purchase ! Thanks for all the info you gave me.

Comment

Hey Jon,

I have a few other questions for you.

After doing some more digging around the web. I decided to go with (3) A2.4s as front channels. I can use the A1.5's as surrounds later down the line when I get there. After doing some measuring I can assure that the center speaker will be at least 6" from the wall. I could bring it out another 2-4" if it would make a noticeable difference. I really do not want to miss out on the center channel.

I was wondering if it would be a good or bad idea to put sound foam panels behind the center? I'm not sure if that would help with acoustical loading or not. That is with or without the port plug.

I mentioned in the post above that I'll be using a Denon 750H for this setup. It says that it pushes 110w per channel. Is that going to be sufficient to power these speakers? I read on Drop that they can operate between 20-200w. Not sure if 110 is under powered or a sweet spot.

I was also recommended the SVS SB-1000 on the HomeTheatre Reddit. That was before I ran into this forum. How do your Tai subs compare to it?

Thanks for any info you can give me !

Comment

Hey Jon,

I can use the A1.5's as surrounds later down the line when I get there.
                        I would advise using Jon's dedicated surround speaker for that. https://forum.chanemusiccinema.com/f...rround-speaker

I was also recommended the SVS SB-1000 on the HomeTheatre Reddit. That was before I ran into this forum. How do your Tai subs compare to it?
                        I would hurry up and grab a TAI-190 because stock is very low and you will not find a better sub for the price,

Comment

Hey Jon,

I mentioned in the post above that I'll be using a Denon 750H for this setup. It says that it pushes 110w per channel. Is that going to be sufficient to power these speakers? I read on Drop that they can operate between 20-200w. Not sure if 110 is under powered or a sweet spot.
                          As someone who doesn't own any Chanes yet but has done lots of research, this is plenty of power. I plan to power A5.5s with 95w per channel and I'm not worried about it.

At 89db sensitivity for the A2.4s (which some say is a humble rating) by doing some napkin math, these can push ~109db each at one foot away from the face with your 110w. This level can be related to the sound pressure of a chainsaw, car horn, night club, etc. So I doubt you would ever max them out honestly

Comment

I was wondering if it would be a good or bad idea to put sound foam panels behind the center? I'm not sure if that would help with acoustical loading or not. That is with or without the port plug.
                            It can only help. I'd stop the port too.

Comment

I would advise using Jon's dedicated surround speaker for that. https://forum.chanemusiccinema.com/f...rround-speaker
                              You know I actually saw those. I totally forgot that they were mentioned as surrounds. I'll def do that when I get there !

I would hurry up and grab a TAI-190 because stock is very low and you will not find a better sub for the price,
                              I was actually gonna buy the sub much later down the line. I was thinking about waiting for 300w or the 500w versions. That sound good?

Comment

Originally posted by MC024 View Post

As someone who doesn't own any Chanes yet but has done lots of research, this is plenty of power. I plan to power A5.5s with 95w per channel and I'm not worried about it.

At 89db sensitivity for the A2.4s (which some say is a humble rating) by doing some napkin math, these can push ~109db each at one foot away from the face with your 110w. This level can be related to the sound pressure of a chainsaw, car horn, night club, etc. So I doubt you would ever max them out honestly
                                Right on dude! I hope you have fun with your setup. Those towers look like monsters.

I barely started looking into this hobby about 4 weeks ago. It's a lot to digest. Once I feel I understand one thing two more things pop up that I have to do research on. It''s actually really fun.

Those examples you gave are pretty legit! Thanks for that information. I saw a review from Techno dad on youtube about AVRS. He said not to worry about different watts from receivers as it can look really complicated but they all perform well. Just wanted to make sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X