Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

General A-series questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • General A-series questions

    Hi Jon, I have a few questions that I'm hoping you can help with as I work to decide what on earth to do for a new speaker setup. I'm sure some of these you can't answer right now too and that's not a problem!

    A6.5: I remember seeing the tentative dimensions somewhere on here for this speaker as about 21"L x 10"H x 15"D awhile back. Is that still accurate? It would fit my TV stand almost perfectly in that case. Also, what will be the biggest advantages of this over the A2.x? Not to compare brands, but I see this as kind of an Emotiva C2 killer. I'm guessing the move to 3-way will help to improve clarity even further? Finally, for someone that is over 90% home theater usage in a largish room, is waiting for this speaker for (I'm guessing) a couple months longer than the A2.x worth it when my current center is pretty much crap?

    A2.4: Is end of summer still on for the return to stock (and is it fair to call end of September end of summer)? I believe you've said both the L-series and 700s will release before these restock so just wondering how this timeline will fit in the rest of the summer as those lines are likely out of my budget. If these (A2.4) were in I'd probably have one with a set of A5.5s already. Still might grab a set of towers come the end of August with payday, but I've been planning to do the whole upgrade in one swoop.

    A1.5/4.5: The A4.5s look great! They seem like the perfect fit for my desk as I've been wanting a nice set of desktop speakers for music with so much work from home time. My question here is which of these would be better for surround duty in the 5.1 setup with my couch backed into a wall?

    I guess everything comes down I'm wanting to buy a sh*t-ton of Chane speakers and wondering how much I should spend and when I'll get to spend it hahaha. Like always, thanks so much for all of your work and openness with us!

  • #2
    Originally posted by MC024 View Post
    A6.5: I remember seeing the tentative dimensions somewhere on here for this speaker as about 21"L x 10"H x 15"D awhile back. Is that still accurate?
    A6.5 measures 530mm wide by 260mm tall. Depth is 290mm. Speaker is front-ported.

    Originally posted by MC024 View Post
    ...what will be the biggest advantages of this over the A2.x?
    Acoustical size and nearly perfect matching to the A5.5, assuming that's a thing. The mid-treble systems are identical while the A5.5's three SplitGap 5.25 are replaced by a pair of 6.5" woofers without XBL2. The goal is a relatively compact center, in 3-way configuration, where we match the sensitivity of the A5.5 but give up a little bass extension.

    Originally posted by MC024 View Post
    I'm guessing the move to 3-way will help to improve clarity even further?
    The goal is more to match the A5.5 and fill a market space for a 3-way center as close to the A5.5 as one can get it. I'm actually a proponent of 2-ways, a position borne out in the results we're getting in the A2.4, the L3c, and the 752. We'll keep doing that.

    Originally posted by MC024 View Post
    Finally, for someone that is over 90% home theater usage in a largish room, is waiting for this speaker for (I'm guessing) a couple months longer than the A2.x worth it when my current center is pretty much crap?
    I can't answer that except to suggest using an A2.4 until the A6.5 happens. The A6.5 isn't scheduled yet - 2020 is a weird year and we're watching a lot of things - but it should appear Q4.

    Originally posted by MC024 View Post
    A2.4: Is end of summer still on for the return to stock (and is it fair to call end of September end of summer)?
    As far as I know. We'll get an end-of-production date one of these weeks and then plan the import.

    Originally posted by MC024 View Post
    I believe you've said both the L-series and 700s will release before these restock so just wondering how this timeline will fit in the rest of the summer as those lines are likely out of my budget.
    Ls and 700s are in production and assuming we can get the new site launched in the next two weeks, will then be available for early orders. 'Early orders' defined as not longer than a 30 day ship date. Do not hold me to this - we have a lot of irons in the fire and until we're rolling we're not completely rolling.

    Originally posted by MC024 View Post
    If these (A2.4) were in I'd probably have one with a set of A5.5s already.
    Good idea, actually.

    Originally posted by MC024 View Post
    A1.5/4.5: The A4.5s look great! They seem like the perfect fit for my desk as I've been wanting a nice set of desktop speakers for music with so much work from home time. My question here is which of these would be better for surround duty in the 5.1 setup with my couch backed into a wall?
    If space is at a premium and if you highpass your auxiliary speakers at 80Hz, the A4.5 is the choice. If you can mount somewhat off the wall, stop the ports - we include plugs - and need the higher volume, then stay with the A1.5. I have one pair in B-stock, by the way.

    Originally posted by MC024 View Post
    I guess everything comes down I'm wanting to buy a sh*t-ton of Chane speakers and wondering how much I should spend and when I'll get to spend it.
    I wouldn't dream of interfering in that plan, MC ;o)

    PS: It's easy for the grapevine to make casual comparisons between similar brands, but we decided long ago not to use conventional drivers, AMT tweeters, or lighter cabinets. We could have and cut prices but we haven't for specific reasons. You can hear it.

    Comment


    • #3
      Wow thanks a ton for this huge and fast response. I think I just got all of my questions answered and I feel even more sold. I guess I'll have plenty of time to decide which center to get before the A2.4 is back, and probably wouldn't have to sell it at a huge loss if I bought it and wanted the A6.5 when you release it.

      Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post
      A1.5. I have one pair in B-stock, by the way.
      I might be interested in those. I was planning on towers being my first purchase if I didn't do it all at once but these would still be an upgrade over my current bookshelves with easy use cases being moved to the rear or office once I get the big ones. I'll let you know on that soon if I want them

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post

        A6.5 measures 530mm wide by 260mm tall. Depth is 290mm. Speaker is front-ported.



        Acoustical size and nearly perfect matching to the A5.5, assuming that's a thing. The mid-treble systems are identical while the A5.5's three SplitGap 5.25 are replaced by a pair of 6.5" woofers without XBL2. The goal is a relatively compact center, in 3-way configuration, where we match the sensitivity of the A5.5 but give up a little bass extension.



        The goal is more to match the A5.5 and fill a market space for a 3-way center as close to the A5.5 as one can get it. I'm actually a proponent of 2-ways, a position borne out in the results we're getting in the A2.4, the L3c, and the 752. We'll keep doing that.



        I can't answer that except to suggest using an A2.4 until the A6.5 happens. The A6.5 isn't scheduled yet - 2020 is a weird year and we're watching a lot of things - but it should appear Q4.



        As far as I know. We'll get an end-of-production date one of these weeks and then plan the import.



        Ls and 700s are in production and assuming we can get the new site launched in the next two weeks, will then be available for early orders. 'Early orders' defined as not longer than a 30 day ship date. Do not hold me to this - we have a lot of irons in the fire and until we're rolling we're not completely rolling.



        Good idea, actually.



        If space is at a premium and if you highpass your auxiliary speakers at 80Hz, the A4.5 is the choice. If you can mount somewhat off the wall, stop the ports - we include plugs - and need the higher volume, then stay with the A1.5. I have one pair in B-stock, by the way.



        I wouldn't dream of interfering in that plan, MC ;o)

        PS: It's easy for the grapevine to make casual comparisons between similar brands, but we decided long ago not to use conventional drivers, AMT tweeters, or lighter cabinets. We could have and cut prices but we haven't for specific reasons. You can hear it.
        Jon, how do I get a hold of that b stock? Very interested

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by MC024 View Post
          Wow thanks a ton for this huge and fast response. I think I just got all of my questions answered and I feel even more sold. I guess I'll have plenty of time to decide which center to get before the A2.4 is back, and probably wouldn't have to sell it at a huge loss if I bought it and wanted the A6.5 when you release it.

          I might be interested in those. I was planning on towers being my first purchase if I didn't do it all at once but these would still be an upgrade over my current bookshelves with easy use cases being moved to the rear or office once I get the big ones. I'll let you know on that soon if I want them
          I don't have experience with a lot of speakers, but for me and many others the A series is fantastic. I love the looks and the sound, customer support and relations are outstanding. I'm not even in the US and had a lot of easier choices than importing and still made the extra effort to get them. It was the first time I ever bought new speakers so I don't know what other brands do, but I was very impressed with the packaging and level of detail and accessories as well.
          Last edited by wkrpic; 08-15-2020, 04:33 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Khaile88 View Post
            Jon, how do I get a hold of that b stock? Very interested
            Pop over an email and we'll set it up.

            Comment


            • #7
              Do you have a time-frame for how long the summer A5Deal is going to last? I'm dead set on A5.5. Just trying to plan out how soon to buy them, but for sure not until end of the month at best. Thanks!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by MC024 View Post
                Do you have a time-frame for how long the summer A5Deal is going to last? I'm dead set on A5.5. Just trying to plan out how soon to buy them, but for sure not until end of the month at best. Thanks!
                We'll run the A5Deal coupon code until a couple of weeks before the A1.5 and A2.4 restock. Once those are announced, the code will run for another two weeks or so.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post

                  We'll run the A5Deal coupon code until a couple of weeks before the A1.5 and A2.4 restock. Once those are announced, the code will run for another two weeks or so.
                  Great, thank you. Unfortunately I had a bunch of my electronics wiped out by lightning last night! Some are a must replace and will have to eat up budget first. Hopefully I can still get these during the promo, but I'll be delayed in getting to hear these by quite a bit.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by MC024 View Post
                    Great, thank you. Unfortunately I had a bunch of my electronics wiped out by lightning last night! Some are a must replace and will have to eat up budget first. Hopefully I can still get these during the promo, but I'll be delayed in getting to hear these by quite a bit.
                    That is not good, MC. I'm sorry to hear that. If it works for you, just get in touch offline as you work through this and let's see what we can do...

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      At 20.8 inches “530mm” long are you using slotted front ports or round?

                      Trying to think how the A6.5 is laid out.

                      Thanks...
                      Last edited by Ehill; 08-24-2020, 01:13 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Ehill View Post
                        At 20.8 inches “530mm” long are you using slotted front ports or round?

                        Trying to think how the A6.5 is layer out.
                        The A6.5's over and under tweeter and 5.25" midrange allows for just enough cabinet height that we can put two small ports under each 6.5" woofer on either side. The speaker has three internal chambers so the left and right bass section each have their own ports.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post

                          The A6.5's over and under tweeter and 5.25" midrange allows for just enough cabinet height that we can put two small ports under each 6.5" woofer on either side. The speaker has three internal chambers so the left and right bass section each have their own ports.
                          Awesome....I see how it’s designed now. Very nice I like the individual internal cambers that will provide 3 different chambers 2 ported for the 6.5 and one sealed chamber for the planner tweeter and mid. Are you going with SB Acoustics for the 6.5’s again like in your other new models?

                          Would the A6.5 be a upgrade for a center channel for owners that are using the Chane A2.4 as left and right channels and a A2.4 as a center?

                          Or should the A2.4 owners wanting a LCR stick with three matching A2.4’s?

                          It seems like the A5.5 owners loved the A2.4 as a center channel.

                          Just wonder if the opposite would be true with the A2.4 owners would love the A6.5 as a center.


                          Bring on the new Chane website with a lot of newly designed Chane speakers 👍🏻🇺🇸

                          Last edited by Ehill; 08-24-2020, 09:00 AM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Ehill View Post
                            Are you going with SB Acoustics for the 6.5’s again like in your other new models?
                            No, the SB drivers appear in the L Series. The A Series have their own.

                            Originally posted by Ehill View Post
                            Would the A6.5 be a upgrade for a center channel for owners that are using the Chane A2.4 as left and right channels and a A2.4 as a center?
                            Depend on what we mean by upgrade:
                            • The A6.5 gains sensitivity by using larger woofers and by not going as low as the A2.4.
                            • The A6.5 is as close a match for the A5.5 as possible in a compact horizontal speaker using the identical midrange and treble system.
                            • The A6.5 may appeal to users who prefer that the treble and mid be aligned vertically.
                            Originally posted by Ehill View Post
                            Or should the A2.4 owners wanting a LCR stick with three matching A2.4’s?
                            The A2.4 is a very popular speaker for good reasons. It's also as good a full range, subwooferless speaker as either the A1.5 or A5.5. I'd stick with 3x A2.4 myself.

                            Originally posted by Ehill View Post
                            It seems like the A5.5 owners loved the A2.4 as a center channel.

                            Just wonder if the opposite would be true with the A2.4 owners would love the A6.5 as a center.
                            I'm sure it will happen, but I see the A5.5 | A2.4 | A5.5 system, which is hugely popular, as testament to just what the A2.4 can do. In some ways it's actually impossible to beat a 2-way with a 3-way. Speakers are always trade-offs.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post

                              We'll run the A5Deal coupon code until a couple of weeks before the A1.5 and A2.4 restock. Once those are announced, the code will run for another two weeks or so.
                              Hi. Just trying to get a little more clarity on the timeline. I'm sure it's just me being dense.
                              Will the A5Deal coupon be stopped prior to the availability of the A2.4 or will it overlap for a couple weeks?
                              Thanks

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X