Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1.5 SPL and other Information

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1.5 SPL and other Information

    Are there any SPL charts available for the A 1.5 speakers?
    In particular, I am interested in the Off Axis responses.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Nordo View Post
    Are there any SPL charts available for the A 1.5 speakers?
    In particular, I am interested in the Off Axis responses.
    The A1.5 has four major factors that affect its off-axis, power field response:

    Very wide treble dispersion in the horizontal plane, remaining quite uniform out to 10kHz. See the A1.4's response for how this tweeter acts;
    An ample, usable response in the vertical plane, again relatively uniform to a surprisingly high frequency and like the A1.4;
    Good crossover-region dynamic protection to allow the A1.5 to be used as a true main stand monitor at high level;
    A low crossover point to maximize the transition between a small cone driver and a wide-dispersion tweeter;
    A crossover type that maximizes soundstage over theoretical loudness uniformity.

    After a lot of consideration, we'd published SPL axial and power responses before but currently do not. Too much escapes the typical amplitude-only graphical response and too little is correctly interpreted to, in all good conscience, warrant that form of what can easily become sighted bias. In our view it shouldn't form a leading assumption about what a speaker is really doing. It's too incomplete, and even if an associated footnote were to accompany visual data and spell out how a speaker actually works, it'd pale by comparison to how commonly SPL and power responses are passed around and casually referred to as a complete picture of sound.

    We may return to posting these graphics eventually, but since there are entirely valid reasons to deviate from simple loudness uniformity - which is all amplitude response is - while half a dozen major factors are not reflected by it, it remains serious challenge to adequately extrapolate sound from data.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post

      The A1.5 has four major factors that affect its off-axis, power field response:

      Very wide treble dispersion in the horizontal plane, remaining quite uniform out to 10kHz. See the A1.4's response for how this tweeter acts;
      An ample, usable response in the vertical plane, again relatively uniform to a surprisingly high frequency and like the A1.4;
      Good crossover-region dynamic protection to allow the A1.5 to be used as a true main stand monitor at high level;
      A low crossover point to maximize the transition between a small cone driver and a wide-dispersion tweeter;
      A crossover type that maximizes soundstage over theoretical loudness uniformity.

      After a lot of consideration, we'd published SPL axial and power responses before but currently do not. Too much escapes the typical amplitude-only graphical response and too little is correctly interpreted to, in all good conscience, warrant that form of what can easily become sighted bias. In our view it shouldn't form a leading assumption about what a speaker is really doing. It's too incomplete, and even if an associated footnote were to accompany visual data and spell out how a speaker actually works, it'd pale by comparison to how commonly SPL and power responses are passed around and casually referred to as a complete picture of sound.

      We may return to posting these graphics eventually, but since there are entirely valid reasons to deviate from simple loudness uniformity - which is all amplitude response is - while half a dozen major factors are not reflected by it, it remains serious challenge to adequately extrapolate sound from data.
      Thanks for your quick response.
      my main problem is that I live in Australia, and have no way of listening to a Chane speaker before committing myself.
      However, I fully understand your concern on people forming incorrect conclusions over a simple response graph.
      BTW, how can I see the data on the A1.4s?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Nordo View Post
        My main problem is that I live in Australia, and have no way of listening to a Chane speaker before committing myself.
        However, I fully understand your concern on people forming incorrect conclusions over a simple response graph.
        BTW, how can I see the data on the A1.4s?
        I share your concern: Costs to Australia are high enough that a return is quite out of the question. If you need a small but powerful main speaker with excellent dispersion - within the 5.25" two-way format - the A1.5 is an option. If you need a more specialized solution the A1.5's dynamics and soundstage may not rise to the top of the list of priorities. As we always recommend, the only way to know is hearing them and that's where costs become prohibitive.

        The A1.4 had been plotted in another forum thread but since we switched servers to vBulletin's Cloud, that data has vanished. We'll replace it one day but have a little too much to accomplish before then. I don't mean to challenge your request, but frankly we've never promoted anything but real, ears-on experience, with data as a backstop whose value is proportional to its depth of interpretation.

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks again for your quick response.
          We are planning to downsize our house, which will include leaving the dedicated home theater behind.
          However, in the new house I am hoping to have a small dedicated media room.
          That's where the A1.5s come in.
          I was just hoping for some more information on the speakers so I could start to plan the room treatment.
          But I'm probably just getting ahead of my self (have to buy the house first and see what room I can use).
          Kind Regards

          Comment

          Working...
          X