Poll: What do we want next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by newspeakers
    Jon, you have something special with the A5s. They deserve an optional veneer upgrade for people that want this level of audio but want something beyond black vinyl wrap. If you can find a good cabinet maker near your Nevada warehouse, could you offer a wood veneer for $200-$250 (to keep the price under $1k)? Can this be done without affecting the audio properties of the speaker?

I think you would have a real market for this for the ARX line if you can work out the logistics.
    Thank you for the kind compliment, newspeakers.

We'd love to get into premium finishes, although as you predict, logistics are daunting if we're going to hold the line on price. We're thinking a big Arx linesource may be the model to launch a deluxe finish...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Lane
      Thank you for the kind compliment, newspeakers.

We'd love to get into premium finishes, although as you predict, logistics are daunting if we're going to hold the line
      on price. We're thinking a big Arx linesource may be the model to launch a deluxe finish...
      Deluxe finish as in better quality vinyls (cherry, walnut, oak) or real wood/piano gloss finishes?

I think if they could be done at a reasonable price and done extremely well then I think they would sell pretty good.
      Alot of people are just turned off by the basic black box, adding some new options could bring in some more people that might,
      be willing to spend a few dollars more on a better finish.

The bad think though is if the price increases too much just for a new premium finish. For example would someone pay $800-1000 for a piano gloss or rosewood A3 tower? Thats not saying the Arx speakers aren't worth a higher price cause I would have paid alittle more for my Arx speakers. You start to get into some serious competition and alot of options.

Comment

• Originally posted by gtpsuper24
        Deluxe finish as in better quality vinyls (cherry, walnut, oak) or real wood/piano gloss finishes?

I think if they could be done at a reasonable price and done extremely well then I think they would sell pretty good.
        Alot of people are just turned off by the basic black box, adding some new options could bring in some more people that might,
        be willing to spend a few dollars more on a better finish.

The bad think though is if the price increases too much just for a new premium finish. For example would someone pay $800-1000 for a piano gloss or rosewood A3 tower? Thats not saying the Arx speakers aren't worth a higher price cause I would have paid alittle more for my Arx speakers. You start to get into some serious competition and alot of options.
        As Arx grows we'll balance optional finishes with new models and hopefully make wise decisions to launch both together. I don't see deluxe wood or paint finishes in tower form for under $1000/pr, but you know we'll always do our best.

Arx made its name using the ancient Ford slogan of any color you want as long as it's black. For now, it's how we keep prices so low.

Comment

• Hi everyone . I'm new here .

I was interested in an A2b trio , but now I think Ill hang on for a bit and see about this A6 thats comming allong ( is it comming along ? ) I am 75% 2 channel w/ tv+movies so clairity is my main concern for both tv and music .

Comment

• Originally posted by asterisk *
            Hi everyone . I'm new here .

I was interested in an A2b trio , but now I think Ill hang on for a bit and see about this A6 thats comming allong ( is it comming along ? ) I am 75% 2 channel w/ tv+movies so clairity is my main concern for both tv and music .
            A2s are a great setup for LCR duty, i've been happy with mine, but just ordered a set of A5s for mains . Nothing wrong with the A2s as mains just want something alittle more. I don't know anything about the A6 other than whats been posted on the forum but I don't think its something that will be out soon. Just a guess but I think about another year before we see preorders for it, but I could be wrong. I think that developing and launching the A4 surrounds, Asub probably has priority right now or in the coming months.
            I would not wait and go with the A2b's and maybe A1bs as surrounds.

Comment

• Originally posted by asterisk *
              Hi everyone . I'm new here .

asterisk, I think I know you from somewhere, anyway if your primary listening is two channel and you want clarity and great imaging, I highly recommend the A5's, I listen a lot in a 2.1 configuration with music and also TV, dialog is so natural and clear and placed spot on with the TV, I'm always putting an ear up to the center speaker to confirm that it's off! If you have the room go for the A5 now, I don't know anything about the A6 and at this point I'm just enjoying the A5's which seem to improve in certain areas that are important to me, stage depth and width, accuracy (instruments sound like they should), dynamics and rhythm. My A5's are starting to really open up (for lack of a better term) and I'm paying less attention to the black boxes and hearing music and not just sound. I think I'm starting to arrive, if that makes sense, I'm not saying the speakers disappear ( leaving my doors unlocked will make that happen) but I don't find myself focusing on them but rather the music they make. I'm trying to get Jon and Collin moving here on a sub, I have the rest taken care of, oh I forgot to mention how adept they are for HT as well. Hope this helps in your decision my friend.
              Cheers Jeff

Comment

• Jon or anyone, please help me delete one of these double posts, I don't know how I did this, sorry
                Thanks Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by jnordi
                  Jon or anyone, please help me delete one of these double posts, I don't know how I did this, sorry
                  Thanks Jeff
                  Actually it could be the site. I've tried to respond to peoples PMs only for my response to be sent to myself for some reasone. The site stops responding everytime I hit submit. jnordi I actually tried to pm you back but its failed everytime.

Comment

• Sup, thanks for trying my friend, I would appreciate if you send the PM through the Shack if you could, I really would appreciate a reply, my forum name is: needspeed52
                    http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...speed52-23844/
                    Thanks my friend.
                    Jeff

Comment

Actually it could be the site. I've tried to respond to peoples PMs only for my response to be sent to myself for some reasone. The site stops responding everytime I hit submit. jnordi I actually tried to pm you back but its failed everytime.
                      If anyone has trouble with PM please email us...

Comment

• Regarding line arrays, I found this in another forum. Costs $150,000 though (scroll to the bottom for the renderings). Hopefully, the Arx Line Arrays will not cost as much...

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=110891.0

Comment

• Yeah I would be the Arx linearray will not be anywhere near that price. That price is a joke really, I figured up real quick that theres about $8k-9k in the drivers for the pair (full retail prices). So where is the rest of the $141,000 coming from. I would bet that theres probably about $80-100K in profit built into these. He products seem like its more geared toward profits than anything. He charges some fairly high prices IMO for his kits being just drivers and a bag full of crossover parts.

Comment

• Wow. I didn't realize that the drivers cost < 10% of the retail price. The mid-tiered or smaller version of that line array seems to be within the $20k range (based on that forum). I believe the Arx Line Array is designed to be crossed at 80 Hz and will be very tall (>6 ft) and slim, so no 12" split gap woofers there. I also recall from the discussion with Jon that there are developments in today's driver that perform better than the NEO 10s. I guess the Arx line array, will be made up of the midranges from the A5s and the next generation planar tweeters?

Comment

• Yeah I think its kind of crazy to offer a $150,000 speaker with only 8% of the cost in drivers. I just have a tough time believing that he needs another $141,000 to work with after the cost of the drivers, which he probably get a discount on top of that for mass purchases or having a contract directly with an OEM. Even if he alocated $40,000 per pair for profit theres still $100,000 left. I'm probably biased since I own them but, after you seen what Jon can do with a speaker in the $750 range its makes you think how much some of these other companies products have huge profit margins built in.

I mean if Jon can offer a tower for $750 with planar tweeter, castbasket midrange, castbasket woofers, license for XBL2/splitgap, rising neo prices, high quality crossover components, and braced cabinets. Why can't a company offering a $1500 tower include half of that? Some competitors offer towers that are double the price that come no where near the component quality of the Arx speakers. Cheap stamped basket drivers, no cabinet bracing, cheap quality tweeters, low part quality Xovers, no high/low pass filters, with the same quality vinyl that Arx uses. Its baffling to me.

Comment

Yeah I think its kind of crazy to offer a $150,000 speaker with only 8% of the cost in drivers. I just have a tough time believing that he needs another $141,000 to work with after the cost of the drivers, which he probably get a discount on top of that for mass purchases or having a contract directly with an OEM. Even if he alocated $40,000 per pair for profit theres still $100,000 left. I'm probably biased since I own them but, after you seen what Jon can do with a speaker in the $750 range its makes you think how much some of these other companies products have huge profit margins built in.
                                For $150,000, the speakers should come with a fully-furnished sound proof home theater room including a projector and AT screen... or a house :)

Originally posted by gtpsuper24
                                I mean if Jon can offer a tower for $750 with planar tweeter, castbasket midrange, castbasket woofers, license for XBL2/splitgap, rising neo prices, high quality crossover components, and braced cabinets. Why can't a company offering a $1500 tower include half of that? Some competitors offer towers that are double the price that come no where near the component quality of the Arx speakers. Cheap stamped basket drivers, no cabinet bracing, cheap quality tweeters, low part quality Xovers, no high/low pass filters, with the same quality vinyl that Arx uses. Its baffling to me.
                                Agreed. And the free A1s and half price A2 was the icing on the cake for me -- thank you Jon!

Comment

Working...
                                X