The New Chane 700 Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chucks0 View Post
    Thanks for the detailed answer (although I got lost a little in the horn / wave guide discussion). :)
    The short version is that it fills the need we developed years ago for a very good sounding afffordable horn treble system...

Originally posted by chucks0 View Post
    How close are you to finalizing pricing?
    We're filling in the final cost figure for about a dozen new models starting right now and when we have it, prices will announce. There's a blank post for it in the first page of this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post

I like that you use musicality to refer to that aspect of sound we can't measure. The 752 is more like the A2.4 than it is different, and simple musicality is top of that list. Our design and tuning just brings that out naturally, and the challenge in describing all 700 series models will be to highlight that in the context of a big speaker that looks more pro studio or strictly home theater than it does home.

Musicality in the 752 is also aided by its sealed bass system, at least by comparison to an A2.4 with its ports open. The sealed 8" pair go approximately as low as the bass reflex 5.25" pair in the A2.4, but will sound somewhat faster because they're not using reflex action to get there.

Dynamics are definitely in the 752's favor, as is that immeasurable characteristic of pressurization, authority, and slam from the significantly larger speaker. It simply acoustically loads better.

Soundstaging in the 752 is aided by its natural mechanical time alignment - the deep acoustical center of the horn treble system is a key component to the design, and that combined with what we'll call a quasi-zero phase bandpass give it a very good sense of space and placement. This is another thing not generally expected from a speaker this large or one that looks like this.
      That was a great description/comparison of the 752 vs. 2.4 so thank you for that. I do not understand the soundstage implications to a general listener based on the technical details, though. Given it's a Chane product, I've already learned it will sound great but should I infer that the 752 throws a bigger/wider/deeper soundstage than the 2.4 based on the description? What if the same question was posed in context of the L3C or larger L-center?

I'm eager to be on an order interest list but struggling to figure out which one to sign up for! While the L's seem like the natural answer for my primarily HT use, the 700's will be ready in black which is what I need in my house. Doesn't seem like it there is a "bad" decision to be made here - just the potential to miss out on a difference listening preference.

Comment

Originally posted by mmhaskar View Post
        That was a great description/comparison of the 752 vs. 2.4 so thank you for that. I do not understand the soundstage implications to a general listener based on the technical details, though. Given it's a Chane product, I've already learned it will sound great but should I infer that the 752 throws a bigger/wider/deeper soundstage than the 2.4 based on the description? What if the same question was posed in context of the L3C or larger L-center?
        That's another excellent question and one I'd struggle to put into a clear reply. They both image like crazy, which is what we always shoot for. There are technical differences why either would or should sound a particular way - with the 752 having one advantage and the L3c having another - but the end result is more practical. The theory is both predicative and inherently involved in the speakers' functions - you can't divorce them - but you can't always say what goes faster, the fuel-injection or the twin overhead cams.

You go drive them and see what the seat of the pants says. Here the L3c has a small leg up in that its direct-radiating ringdome tweeter naturally has that wide-angle dispersion field that lends itself to what we expect from a very good audiophile speaker. It has a sense of scope and sheen in the presence region and above we associate with openness, detail, clarity and typical words like that. It's a phase linear design and its rendition of timbre and the release of the sound and image from the discrete physical speaker is quite notable.

The 752 has a tighter treble field, the natural action of the big constant directivity horn. It also has that quality of a compression driver and horn that comes across as dynamically easy, limitless, and uncolored. It doesn't go as high - it still easily exceeds 20kHz - and it prefers more distance to the ear. But it has the advantage of excellent physical time alignment - which in a MTM is lovely to have - and it is a quasi-zero phase design as opposed to a linear phase design. In other words, while it doesn't have the extreme pan and dispersion in stereo treble, it has an integration to the rest of the speaker that suits good image and soundstage well.

One has fuel injection and the other has the twin overhead cam motor and while they drive differently, they end up being more similar than they are different, to use a poor metaphor. More practically, if you prefer louder and further away the 752 makes more sense, and if you prefer more intimate and more in line with the typical living room as far as loudness goes, the L3c gets the vote. More or less what you'd expect.

By comparison the A2.4, which started this whole trajectory back in the .4 versions of the A models, is more like the L3c technically, theoretically, and in real use. The L3c wins for sheer insight, downward dynamic range, and tone color, but the L3c is also quite a bit more expensive. The A2.4 is the guerrilla value in a smaller version of the same overall design type.

The crazy thing to me is just how naturally musical I found a speaker like the 752 and just how enveloping and impactful I found the L3c. Again, more alike than different.

The L6 is different in that it can't lend itself to either a vertical stereo pair of a triple matched front stage. The L6 is always the L7's horizontal center channel mate. It's optimized very much like the L7, only for use on furniture and generally limited to 80-Hz and above, at least to gain back some acoustical size traded away by using only two woofers instead of the L7's four.

Originally posted by mmhaskar View Post
        I'm eager to be on an order interest list but struggling to figure out which one to sign up for! While the L's seem like the natural answer for my primarily HT use, the 700's will be ready in black which is what I need in my house. Doesn't seem like it there is a "bad" decision to be made here - just the potential to miss out on a difference listening preference.
        I'm good with that, although better ears and vocabularies than mine will probably provide more distance between the two.

Comment

So the L's are a Mercedes benzz SL coup and the 700's are are Shelby cobra

Comment

A5.5 cost $469.00 the 753 will cost $650?

Comment

Originally posted by Shivdaddy View Post
              A5.5 cost $469.00 the 753 will cost $650?
              Don't believe we priced the 753 yet...

Comment

The new Chane 753 floor speaker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	753.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	114758
                I'm really hoping the pricing on the 753 is at or under $1,500/pair, because these would be amazing. Seems like they'd be truly subwoofer-optional speakers, what with three 8" woofers each... If that's the case (with the pricing), I think I'd jump on these immediately.

Any ETA for a price list for the 700- and L-Series models? :-)
                New system: Outlaw RR2160 receiver; speakers & subs TBD!

Comment

Memorial weekend update, folks: The first sixty mixed 752 and 753 cabinets and their crossovers are complete and have entered final assembly, testing, and over-packaging. I don't have a end-date (don't ask) and I also don't have exact final pricing because we have to tally all final costs, just to be complete. They won't change the price much but you can understand that because we intend to offer extreme value we prefer no surprises. Standard business: when you're there you're there and not before.

We've prepared a new website with some ten new models in it. Whether we launch it before or after we offer the 700 series models is unknown, but one way or the other we'll launch the product moment we have a go from production.

The 700 series models are well equipped to launch without limit except for the cabinets themselves. We'll bang the reorder button for them probably within two weeks of launch, but all drivers and components are staged and ready to go and will remain so. Cabinets themselves are a function of the supply chain and US production we spent three years establishing. Hopefully sixty last us a month or so.

When we know more you will too, and we'll announce here, on Twitter, and through the subscription email newsletter. We haven't emailed one since late last year so don't worry if you haven't seen a 2020 edition.

I don't envision any production options for models 752 and 753 - cabinets will always be standard Chane black ash style because this line really won't have much demand among either living room furniture markets or premium painted home theater environments. Their aim is value and acoustical performance.

Nearly there, folks. Have a great holiday weekend.

Comment

"value and acoustic performance" SOUNDS GREAT! ☺️

Comment

Memorial weekend update, folks: The first sixty mixed 752 and 753 cabinets and their crossovers are complete and have entered final assembly, testing, and over-packaging. I don't have a end-date (don't ask) and I also don't have exact final pricing because we have to tally all final costs, just to be complete. They won't change the price much but you can understand that because we intend to offer extreme value we prefer no surprises. Standard business: when you're there you're there and not before.

We've prepared a new website with some ten new models in it. Whether we launch it before or after we offer the 700 series models is unknown, but one way or the other we'll launch the product moment we have a go from production.

The 700 series models are well equipped to launch without limit except for the cabinets themselves. We'll bang the reorder button for them probably within two weeks of launch, but all drivers and components are staged and ready to go and will remain so. Cabinets themselves are a function of the supply chain and US production we spent three years establishing. Hopefully sixty last us a month or so.

When we know more you will too, and we'll announce here, on Twitter, and through the subscription email newsletter. We haven't emailed one since late last year so don't worry if you haven't seen a 2020 edition.

I don't envision any production options for models 752 and 753 - cabinets will always be standard Chane black ash style because this line really won't have much demand among either living room furniture markets or premium painted home theater environments. Their aim is value and acoustical performance.

Nearly there, folks. Have a great holiday weekend.
                      Very exciting news.

Has the weight of the 752 been posted anywhere? Also, are speaker grills included? I don’t see either mentioned in the spec post on page 1.

thx!

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyVee View Post
                        Has the weight of the 752 been posted anywhere?
                        Not yet. Weights post in the product pages when they appear.

Originally posted by JonnyVee View Post
                        Also, are speaker grills included?
                        Yes, magnetic.

Comment

Hi, Jon! Do the 753 floorstanders come with any type of floor spikes/feet/outriggers?
                          New system: Outlaw RR2160 receiver; speakers & subs TBD!

Comment

Originally posted by cgramer View Post
                            Hi, Jon! Do the 753 floorstanders come with any type of floor spikes/feet/outriggers?
                            I should have mentioned that both the L7 and 753 come with the same outrigger and foot hardware as the A5.5. New photography will show this.

Comment

Working...
                            X