Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The New Chane 700 Series

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Chane ,I wished to mail you,where & how I can contact you?
    krishan ,India
    [email protected]

    Comment


    • I know there were some questions in the past about how large an amp was needed to drive the 700s in an HT setting. Unfortunately, I got to experience it first hand as I needed to send my Outlaw 7700 amp in for warranty work and am now using a Denon AVR4200.

      It's amazing how good HT can be when driving the 700s with a larger amp and dedicated power to each channel. It's just not the same experience when the AVR has to sprinkle 125W over multiple channels.

      Having said that, I imagine it's much more noticeable after you run a powerful amp versus only using an AVR. You don't know what your missing until you realize it's missing.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by kabin View Post
        It's amazing how good HT can be when driving the 700s with a larger amp and dedicated power to each channel. It's just not the same experience when the AVR has to sprinkle 125W over multiple channels.
        So true. It's been 8 weeks since my Emotiva XPA has gone down and my Yamaha AVR driving the 752s just isn't the same. And it's not that they aren't reasonably efficient but that headroom you get with a real amp takes these speakers to tge next level. I'm getting so impatient waiting for my amp to come back I'm "this close" to buying a new amp just to have my system back together as it should be.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by kabin View Post
          I know there were some questions in the past about how large an amp was needed to drive the 700s in an HT setting. Unfortunately, I got to experience it first hand as I needed to send my Outlaw 7700 amp in for warranty work and am now using a Denon AVR4200.

          It's amazing how good HT can be when driving the 700s with a larger amp and dedicated power to each channel. It's just not the same experience when the AVR has to sprinkle 125W over multiple channels.

          Having said that, I imagine it's much more noticeable after you run a powerful amp versus only using an AVR. You don't know what your missing until you realize it's missing.
          Originally posted by Freddyknuckles View Post

          So true. It's been 8 weeks since my Emotiva XPA has gone down and my Yamaha AVR driving the 752s just isn't the same. And it's not that they aren't reasonably efficient but that headroom you get with a real amp takes these speakers to tge next level. I'm getting so impatient waiting for my amp to come back I'm "this close" to buying a new amp just to have my system back together as it should be.
          I've never been fan of the all-amps-sound-alike theory. Real amplification really matters, even to the point that you could realistically reverse the standard equation and find that you can justify a few times more of an investment into amplification, not into larger speakers.

          The key is what audiophiles call grip. Look into constant voltage and you'll find that an amplifier that is substantially load invariant will also naturally isolate the individual channels so that a transient that draws appreciable current through one channel won't affect the others. This is why I bolded the two points above.

          Interestingly, both good tube amps and good exotic amps - Class A and single ended - may have good isolation. On the other end of the spectrum are inexpensive AVRs - which sound like you're finding.

          Like many things in tech, the trick isn't more, it's better.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Freddyknuckles View Post

            So true. It's been 8 weeks since my Emotiva XPA has gone down and my Yamaha AVR driving the 752s just isn't the same. And it's not that they aren't reasonably efficient but that headroom you get with a real amp takes these speakers to tge next level. I'm getting so impatient waiting for my amp to come back I'm "this close" to buying a new amp just to have my system back together as it should be.
            As Petty said, the waiting is the hardest part. :) And they aren't cheap to ship.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post



              I've never been fan of the all-amps-sound-alike theory. Real amplification really matters, even to the point that you could realistically reverse the standard equation and find that you can justify a few times more of an investment into amplification, not into larger speakers.

              The key is what audiophiles call grip. Look into constant voltage and you'll find that an amplifier that is substantially load invariant will also naturally isolate the individual channels so that a transient that draws appreciable current through one channel won't affect the others. This is why I bolded the two points above.

              Interestingly, both good tube amps and good exotic amps - Class A and single ended - may have good isolation. On the other end of the spectrum are inexpensive AVRs - which sound like you're finding.

              Like many things in tech, the trick isn't more, it's better.

              No doubt. That might be the best solution for less cost conscious audiophiles. I would still argue more watts at a reasonable price are needed for most HT enthusiasts.

              I guess the one good thing about AVRs is they get you in the ballgame with reasonable pricing, support for modern audio/video formats, numerous inputs/outputs, switching between numerous devices, ...



              Comment


              • Originally posted by kabin View Post


                No doubt. That might be the best solution for less cost conscious audiophiles. I would still argue more watts at a reasonable price are needed for most HT enthusiasts.

                I guess the one good thing about AVRs is they get you in the ballgame with reasonable pricing, support for modern audio/video formats, numerous inputs/outputs, switching between numerous devices, ...


                I would disagree. The best, most powerful, most dynamic bass I’ve ever heard is from my 90lb SET tube amp (48wpc). Closely followed by my 80w x2 Naim SuperNait 3. Both are significantly better than my bridged pair of Benchmark AHB2 amps (380w per amp into 8r, nearly 500w x2 into 4r).

                And it’s not even close.

                Comment


                • My room is 12.5' x 16.5' x 9', less than 2000 ft^3. The MLP is 10' away from the front speakers. I currently have a5.4s and an a.2.4 for LCR, driven by a Monolith 7 amp, but have recently been wanting more in terms of volume and clarity for home theater. I've been on the waiting list for L7s and L6 but, the a6.5 and the 700 series intrigues me. I've been debating in my head if I just need a larger center (a6.5) or if stepping up to the 700 or L series the better investment. The 700 series reviews of folks coming from an a2.4/5.x makes it sound like an a6.5 upgrade would not be significant enough of jump. Given that this room is 95% HT will the 752/753 combo be more than I'll ever need to hit reference levels? Or should I wait for version 2 that will be 3db more efficient?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by xo151 View Post
                    My room is 12.5' x 16.5' x 9', less than 2000 ft^3. The MLP is 10' away from the front speakers. I currently have a5.4s and an a.2.4 for LCR, driven by a Monolith 7 amp, but have recently been wanting more in terms of volume and clarity for home theater. I've been on the waiting list for L7s and L6 but, the a6.5 and the 700 series intrigues me. I've been debating in my head if I just need a larger center (a6.5) or if stepping up to the 700 or L series the better investment. The 700 series reviews of folks coming from an a2.4/5.x makes it sound like an a6.5 upgrade would not be significant enough of jump. Given that this room is 95% HT will the 752/753 combo be more than I'll ever need to hit reference levels? Or should I wait for version 2 that will be 3db more efficient?
                    With your amp, and seeing that you’re nearly getting what you want now, the current version would be a very big upgrade for you in terms of SPL and the effortless way in which it is delivered.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by xo151 View Post
                      My room is 12.5' x 16.5' x 9', less than 2000 ft^3. The MLP is 10' away from the front speakers. I currently have a5.4s and an a.2.4 for LCR, driven by a Monolith 7 amp, but have recently been wanting more in terms of volume and clarity for home theater. I've been on the waiting list for L7s and L6 but, the a6.5 and the 700 series intrigues me. I've been debating in my head if I just need a larger center (a6.5) or if stepping up to the 700 or L series the better investment. The 700 series reviews of folks coming from an a2.4/5.x makes it sound like an a6.5 upgrade would not be significant enough of jump. Given that this room is 95% HT will the 752/753 combo be more than I'll ever need to hit reference levels? Or should I wait for version 2 that will be 3db more efficient?
                      Just FYI, while the A6.5 bumps to one size larger bass drivers, it's still compact enough that the bump in sound comes from higher efficiency and not deeper bass. In fact, the A2.4 goes a little lower, but it was designed for multi-channel full range use, not dedicated center dialog work. That increase will bring a system higher volume, and for some folks, fulfill the desire they have for a vertical mid and tweeter stack.

                      However, 752 and 753 bump two driver sizes and bring the nice treble horn system people are finding sounds good. They are the natural move for ref levels all around.

                      (And for the record, we're not calling the L7 and L6 the most natural HT choice when level is the goal. They're more of a living room pairing and a move more laterally into a more sophisticated sound than the A5.5 and A2.4/A6.5. Think high end sound, where the 700's are prosumer and the A's are black box value leaders.)

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Chane M&C View Post

                        Just FYI, while the A6.5 bumps to one size larger bass drivers, it's still compact enough that the bump in sound comes from higher efficiency and not deeper bass. In fact, the A2.4 goes a little lower, but it was designed for multi-channel full range use, not dedicated center dialog work. That increase will bring a system higher volume, and for some folks, fulfill the desire they have for a vertical mid and tweeter stack.

                        However, 752 and 753 bump two driver sizes and bring the nice treble horn system people are finding sounds good. They are the natural move for ref levels all around.

                        (And for the record, we're not calling the L7 and L6 the most natural HT choice when level is the goal. They're more of a living room pairing and a move more laterally into a more sophisticated sound than the A5.5 and A2.4/A6.5. Think high end sound, where the 700's are prosumer and the A's are black box value leaders.)
                        Thanks for your and Buford's responses. This has me definitely leaning towards the 700 series.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by xo151 View Post

                          Thanks for your and Buford's responses. This has me definitely leaning towards the 700 series.
                          As a current owner of both the 753 and 752 and a previous owner of the A5rx-c I say go for the 700 series, not saying the A series is bad as it isn't but for that next step up in SPL, effortless clean sound and dynamic ability the 700 series excels at all those points plus sounds really good doing it, especially given you run external amplification as do I.

                          Cheers,

                          Comment


                          • As I prep for 700 series purchase for the fronts, what in-wall surround speakers would the group recommend to closely match the timbre of the front speakers? I can't do on-wall since the seating is really close to the walls.
                            Last edited by xo151; 04-14-2021, 04:41 PM.

                            Comment


                            • ​​​​​I was looking in to this myself.to possibly upgrade my ceiling Atmos speakers. The HSU in-wall speakers came up in my research. I think that they look extremely promising.
                              https://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hiw-1.html
                              Last edited by Spawn101; 04-14-2021, 12:37 PM.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Spawn101 View Post
                                ​​​​​I was looking in to this myself.to possibly upgrade my ceiling Atmos speakers. The HSU in-wall speakers came up in my research. I think that they look extremely promising.
                                https://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hiw-1.html
                                Thanks, I'll put these onto the short list. Did you look at the Klipsch reference series in-walls? They are pricier but the 1" titanium compression tweeters look like they match more with 700s.
                                Last edited by xo151; 04-14-2021, 05:03 PM.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X